47. evergreen.

O P A L

O P A L

Randy sucks on his ice cream spoon, a drop of ice cream drops down his spoon and onto his tuxedo. He glances down and makes a face. "Uh oh."

Polli slaps his shoulder roughly. "Wowza, nice going Randy."

"It was an accident."

She snorts. "Suuure it was. We all know your in love with Marci and will do anything to stop this wedding."

He rolls his eyes, exiting the room. I follow behind him and watch him struggling to get it out. "Follow me." I wave my hand.

He stands beside me, watching me grab a clean rag out of the drawer. He breathes through his nostrils, like he's trying to calm himself down. Wetting the rag I lightly tap at the stain. "You okay Randy?"

He rakes his fingers through his long daffodil hair. "Yup."

"You know Polli was just joking."

He nods his head, pushing his hair behind his ear. "I know."

"You two always joke like that. What's the matter?"

He grabs my wrist, pulling the cloth out of my hand. "Thank you Opal. I can take it from here."

I lean against the doorway, watching him rub the stain. I grab ahold of the rag, "You can't rub it or it'll push it into the fabric more. You have to dab it." I explain, showing him how. "You know you can talk to me Randy. I'm always here for you. I'd love to help, or offer advice any way I can. If you'll let me."

I toss the rag in the sink. "I think we saved your tux."

Just as I exit the bathroom he clears his throat. "Actually. If I'm going to talk to anyone about anything, it's gonna be you."

I cross my arms, leaning against the doorframe. "Everything okay?"

His cheeks turn red, "I mean yeah. It's just kinda embarrassing. I did have a small crush on Marci, but it didn't last long. I kinda, maybe, love Polli."

"Oh-my. Wow. First of all, that's the sweetest thing ever!" I grin, trying to contain my excitement. "Her and Nicholas broke up two weeks ago. Why don't you make a move?"

"I don't know Opal. Her and I have been best buds since third grade. I wouldn't want to chance our friendship. She's way to good of a friend to not have around over something silly."

I place my hands on his face, making him look at me. "Randy, being in love isn't silly, at all. If you love her you can't just not say anything."