5. the search for happiness.

| I highly recommend you give this^ song a listen, it goes really well with this chapter. :)|

K O A

K O A

I stare at my shaky hands, popping a few pills into my mouth, embracing those short-lived happy moments to come.

"Here." Sparkys' hands jitter, his eyes twitch and his foot is always at a constant tap. He smiles lazily, popping a joint between my lips.

I inhale deeply, blowing the smoke into Sparkys' face. He laughs uncontrollably, taking the joint from my fingers. "It good ain't it kid?"

"What else do ya have?"

He leans over the side of the old worn out couch, pulling a bottle of absinthe off the ground, chucking it into my hands. I take a long swig, emptying almost half the bottle.

"Whoa, calm down kid. This stuff is strong."

He prys the bottle away from me, "You're here to be happy, to forget, not to die."

"Maybe I wanna die."

He pats my back, giving me the last of the joint, "Just take it easy." He rakes his fingers through his long blonde hair. He pulls a pack of cocaine from his pant pocket, forming a straight line on the coffee table. "You'll be happy soon."

-

O P A L

I grab a few hefty books from my blue locker, closing it before walking down the empty hallway. As I round the corner I see Koa struggling to open his locker. His hands quivering and his eyes bloodshot.

"Are you okay Koa?"

He swirls around on his heels, jumping back, making a loud clang against the lockers. "Ge-get away from m-me."

"Maybe I should get Mr.Griffen." I mumble out.

His groggy eyes persistently flicker between mine. His hands shoot up and grab my arms, "No!" He snarls. "No, I ain't need no doc."

"What's wrong? Why are you acting like this?" He speaks nonsense, rambling on, sounding like an alien. "Slow down."

He trails off, his eyes glued to something behind me. He shoves me to the ground and darts off.

"You okay Opal?" Knox Whiley asks, extending his hand out to me.

I grab his hand and dust myself off. "Yeah, thank you." I clear my throat. "When did you get here?" I ask with a small smile.