26. lone wolf.

K O A

K O A

Opal grips onto her shirt, like she's about to be sick. She stumbles up to me, pulling the test from my hands. "I..don't know." Taking a seat on the end of her bed she stares at the test in disbelief.

I gulp, rubbing the back of my neck, trying to think of something to say but I'm completely blank. I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out.

Her nose crinkles and her eyes are glued to the test, unable to pull them away. She covers her face with her hands, "This can't be."

"This is yours, right?"

She bobs her head slightly, "Uh-huh."

"Holy fuck.. Do you want to take another one? To be sure?"

"I took two, you said the other one was positive too?"

"Um, yeah."

She lifts herself up and walks into the bathroom. "Where did you get this one from?"

Raking my hair with my fingers I tower over her, pointing to the spot I had found them. "By the sink."

"These aren't mine. I placed mine on the bathtub." 

"If those aren't yours who's are they?"

She shrugs her shoulders and grabs her tests from the edge of the bathtub. She sighs loudly. "Thank goodness."

"You're not pregnant?"

She shows me the tests, both saying negative. "What a relief!"

Bobbing her head a smile forms on the corner of her lips. "A big relief." She walks behind me, brushing her arm against my back. Poking her head out of her room she calls for Marci.

"What's up Opal?" Marci inquires with a soft smile. Opal grabs her sisters arm, pulling her into the room. "Hi Koa.. I didn't realize you were here." She straightens her back and readjusts the top of her dress.

I give her a wave, staying silent in my spot. "Are these yours?" Opal inquires.

She takes the positive tests into her hands and grins. "Yes."

"You're pregnant!?"

She cups her hand over her mouth, tears emerging. "Looks like it." She brushes her red hair behind her ear. "Did you take yours yet?"