The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

He started up the engine and drew out of the car park. So much for seeing the town; that was another thing he had ruined for me. We both sat in silence but a different one from that of which we had driven in with. We must have been there for little less than an hour.

"I'm sorry," he said finally, breaking the quiet. I glared out of the window. "I shouldn't have said that about your mum."

No, he shouldn't have. Nor should he have kissed me in the alley, or offered to take me into town or even saved me on Friday. He shouldn't have even met me. It was all just a massive mistake for him.

"Whatever," I sighed, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"I do care about you, Annie," he said shakily, keeping his eyes on a road. "I wouldn't have...I wouldn't have kissed you if I didn't."

"Then why don't you want to be with me?" The words escaped my mouth before I could stop myself. I cringed and sank lower in my seat.

"Your dad," he said simply. We reached the track and I braced myself for the bumpy ride down. Stones hit the sides of the car as we trundled over potholes and puddles galore.

"My dad's got nothing to do with it!" I exclaimed. "He won't care, Cal!"

"You don't know that; you haven't seen him in...God only knows how long!"

We were both shouting now, the "mature" conversation escalating into a full blown argument. The car stopped in the middle of the driveway and I got out, slamming my door again.

"Don't take this out on my fucking car!" he yelled, slamming his own door. "Just because you're in a bad mood with me, doesn't mean you can abuse my it!"

"Would you listen to yourself?" I screamed. "Just because you're scared of my dad, also means you can take it out on me!" I didn't want to dwell on the fact that I had just compared myself, effectively, to a beaten up little car. I began to thunder up the stone steps but Cal wasn't ready to finish our disagreement. He practically bounded up them and blocked my way to the door. Was he really going to do this?

"I'm not scared of your dad!" he shouted in my face. "I just hate the fact that you're completely incapable of thinking about anyone but yourself!

"So just go and throw yourself at someone else; you seem to be making a habit out of it."

I couldn't believe he had just said that to me. The smart and responsible thing to do would have been to push past him and give myself time to simmer and calm down. But although I was smart, I was nowhere near being responsible. So I looked him in the eye, gave him a wry smile, lifted my knee and aimed it where it hurt. I caught him right between the legs and he bent over in pain, his eyes flying to his injury. I stepped past him, opened the front door and then closed it behind me.

I listened to his swearing and shouts of indignation. And instead of making me want to smile and laugh, like it would have done with any other boy, it made me want slide down the back of the door and cry like a little child.

Cal:

I felt like I was going to be sick. That had been one hell of a kick. If you looked at her, you wouldn't have thought a little thing like her could have managed something like that. I groaned. My wolf snarled at me. He was pretty pissed off. And didn't I know it.

I needed to run it off. I straightened up and limped down the steps. I hobbled across the gravel towards the forest, where I fully intended to take out all of my anger and frustration. I got deeper and deeper into the forest, the pain subsiding slightly. When I decided that I was finally far away enough not to be any sort of threat, I threw my shoulders and let my wolf take over.

It always hurt. Think of the worst pain you've ever been in and then multiply it by ten. Then you'll be on your way knowing how painful it is to let your wolf out for a stretch. I felt my shoulders broaden and my nose lengthen. Hair sprouted all over my skin and pads began to form on the palms of my hands. I screamed, the searing sensation of someone ripping open my skin making me writhe. It was like an adrenaline rush. When the pain stopped, I felt like like I'd been reborn. My eyes were stronger and my nose, already sensitive, was even more so. And the running. I could run wherever I wanted to and go however fast I pleased.

And that's what I did. I ran until I felt like my paws were going to start bleeding any second and then I ran for more. It was like being in this sort of pain was my punishment for hurting Annie. But when I thought about Annie, I wanted to kick myself in the gut. How could I have been such a bastard. She had been nothing but kind to me and I had just pushed her away.

All because I was scared of my Alpha.

But she didn't understand. She had no idea what it was like. If we didn't do as he said, we were as good as dead. He had stated very clearly that he didn't want us anywhere near his daughter. I had already bent the rules even taking her into the town.

Annie. Annie with her long, raven coloured hair and her porcelain skin. Annie with her piercing blue eyes and straight white teeth. Annie with the body that dipped in and out in all of the right places. Annie that was so screwed up in the head, that she couldn't seen how her relationship with Gordon fucked things up for us.

It was a full moon next week, and already I could feel the effects that it had on me. I was aggressive, that much was clear. I knew that part of the rant at Annie had just been a pent up rage that had been brewing for the last few days. And I felt awful about it. But she had accused me of being a coward, and I didn't take kindly to that. I wasn't a coward; I never backed down from a fight.

And I wouldn't back down from this one.

Annie:

I was sitting in the kitchen when dad came through the door, bags of shopping in his hands. I had been sitting there for nearly three hours, just thinking about Cal. It was a strange feeling; not being able to even function because my mind was too focused on him. I looked up though when dad entered, secretly hoping that it was Cal.

My heart fell flat though.

"I got you some things," he said briskly, setting the bags down on the table. "Some pyjamas and necessities. School uniform-"

"Hang on a minute," I said, putting my hand up. "School uniform?"

"Yes, Annie, the clothing that you willwear to school," he replied warily. This close up, I noticed how tired and old he looked. I half felt sorry for him. The other half felt that victory was almost mine.

"No, I understand the concept,"I told him. "I just don't understand why I would need one, considering that I don't go to school anymore."

"Well, now you do."

I just stared at him. You know in the movies, where the cartoon character's mouth falls open in disbelief? Yeah, well, if my mouth could have opened that far, I would have given them a run for their money.

"You what?"

"School. Monday morning. Half past eight," dad said, opening the fridge. "You'll be there, or you'll be out of this house before you can say "It's not fair"."

Radleigh had warned me that dad was a sickler for education. But I stupidly thought that I was going to escape the grasps of the system. Now I was standing in front of my father, deciding whether or not to go into a debate about the disadvantages of going back to school.

"Why?" I whined.

"Annie," he said, taking the cap off of his bottle of beer. "You're my daughter and you're living under my roof. If I tell you to go to school, you'll go."

And he walked out on me, taking his beer with him. I muttered insults and threats under my breath. Let down, broken hearted and forced to go to school? Could this set up be any more dysfunctional?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, this chapter really sucked but I was just trying to get over my severe case ofwriters' block. I'll do better next time; promise.

Comments are very much appreciated (hint, hint) and votes are even more so...

x