The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, well, I find myself having the same dilemma."

"How so?" I sat down next to him.

"I've been eighteen for a few weeks," he explained. "And my wolf already wants a mate.

"But I'm too selfish to have one. My last girlfriend dumped me because I was too insensitive."

"Well some girls can be a bit oversensitive," I reasoned.

"I didn't go to her dad's funeral."

Laughter erupted inside of me and I clapped my hands together. Initially shocked by my reaction, Cal began to join in, laughing as much as I was. We looked at each other. Now that I was this close, I could make out every little mark on his face. He had a few freckles on his nose and a scar above his right eye. He had stubble growing and his teeth were perfectly straight. His lips looked soft and he- Wait, hold on, too far. This was getting a bit too sickly sweet.

I leaned back in my hair, letting my short legs stick out in front of me. Cal just looked at me, his face quizzical. I didn't know what to say to him and I was sure that he didn't know what to say to me.

"You don't seem that selfish," I said eventually. "I mean, selfish people don't stranger's beds."

Cal snorted and replied, "You'll soon realise that not everyone in this house is what they seem. Take Flint for example-"

"I think I'll pass."

The less said about that git the better. I wasn't going to be able to stand in the same room as him. And as for his thoughts...I think there was more censored parts in the magazines you found on the top shelf; talk about graphic.

"He'll be kicking himself because of this, Annie," Cal murmured.

"Darling, I'll be kicking him too if he comes within ten feet of me," I shot back. Cal licked his lips.

"Look," I said in a calmer tone, putting my hand on his knee. "If he keeps his distance, I won't say anything. But if he tries it on again, I won't be holding back."

I was very aware that his eyes were fixed on my hand. I removed it quickly, reminding myself that I didn't actually know Cal that well and I didn't want him to assume things like Flint had done.

I got to my feet, feeling awful about the whole situation. I had only been in the house for less than twelve hours and already I had managed to start a minor dispute. Mind you, my dad had said not to mess with their heads. I felt angry that he had been telling them all about my past. What the fuck did he know? He was hardly ever there for any of it.

Cal:

Annie wore a pained expression on her face. I could see that this whole thing with Flint had made her a bit wary. I had read Flint's mind, to see where he was. And I didn't like what I had seen. I could tell that his wolf had almost completely taken over and if I hadn't go there when I had, I knew that Annie would almost certainly be dead.

I was trying to make it seem better but I knew that Annie's mind was made up; she wasn't going to forgive Flint. I suppose I couldn't blame her.

"My dad," she said quietly, looking down at me. "What did he say when you were at dinner?"

Gordon hardly ever spoke at meal times, let alone about his family. He liked his privacy, he said. It was fine with us; we didn't even really like the bloke but at least we weren't related to him. I felt sorry for Annie, I really did. Imagine having a dad who looked at you like that.

"Nothing," I replied truthfully. "He said nothing."

Her sad mood lifted slightly and she nodded.

"I think I'll head up to bed," she announced. She wiggled her toes and turned away from me. I really wanted to be near her. I wanted to kiss her like there was no tomorrow. I wanted to hold her until she felt safe and then some. My wolf growled in delight and I tried to shush him.

"Night," she called, disappearing through the door. The moment she was gone, I let out a long low sigh. I had to be careful around her; she held something over me like I had never known before. I couldn't even think properly when I was around her; all of my thoughts ran into each other and came out as absolute rubbish.

Flint. Was this the way Flint felt? Were these feelings the reason that he had tried to hit Annie? But when I was with her then, I didn't want to hurt her. I couldn't possibly ever do her harm intentionally. Even the thought made me want to kill someone.

This was confusing. She was off-limits anyway. She was Gordon's daughter, for Gods' sake, never mind what Jase would do if I copped off with his little sister. This whole thing was mess. It wasn't like I wanted to be with her; I didn't even know her! But I wanted to know more. I wanted to know everything about her and I wanted her to know everything about me.

She didn't think I was selfish. I laughed.

Okay, I had made the bed because it was the decent thing to do but apart from that, I didn't look out for anyone except from number one. And I wasn't going to start looking out for Annie; she seemed like she got into a lot of sticky situations. She couldn't be my mate, there was no way that she could be my mate. It would destroy my friendship with Flint past the point of no return.

But even so...

No, Cal, get it out of your head. You don't need a mate. And you don't want one. Annie is a handful and you need to get her out of your head.

Easier said than done. Ever since I had cradled her lifeless body in my arms, I hadn't stopped thinking about her. She had been plaguing my brain for the last day. She was like an obsession gone awry, an addiction that needed a fix.

I shook my head, like this was going to fix things in some way. I was going to have to find a way to stop thinking about her, because this was going to drive me crazy.

I stood up and left the kitchen, jumping up the stairs three at a time. I knocked on Flint's door and didn't bother waiting for a reply. He was sitting on his head, his face buried in his hands. He looked up when I entered, his face red. It looked like he had been crying. I shut the door behind me.

"What the fuck do you want?" he demanded, getting to his feet. We were the same height but Flint was a hell of a lot broader and I knew that, if we were to get into a fight, he would probably win.

"What the hell were you playing at?" I snarled. Flint started towards me but I growled. He stopped.

"I didn't mean to do it," he whispered. "I didn't want to but-"

"I don't care, Flint," I shouted. "You just couldn't take no for an answer, could you? It hadn't even occurred to you that you're not as irresistible as you think?"

Flint's eyes flashed black, a warning sign that his wolf was getting pissed with me.

"It wasn't my fault," he snapped. "You know what it's like; your wolf scrabbling inside you, desperate for a shag. And she was there."

I drew back my fist and punched him. I put all of my heart and soul into the blow and Flint fell back onto his bed as a result. So much for not wanting to ruin our friendship.

"Stay away from her," I warned him as he clutched his bloody nose. "Stay away from her, don't think about her and don't speak to her, okay? Because if you do,I swear to God, I'll kill you."

I turned my back on him and left, slamming the door behind me. I was glad that he hadn't punched back, otherwise there would have been a lot of casualties. I walked towards my bedroom and paused outside Annie's room. She was just feet away, lying in the bed that I had made. She was so close and yet...I couldn't be with her.

And that tore my gut apart more than Flint ever could.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so it's a boring and not very long chapter. Bear with me, chaps!!

I'm trying to do my best and I'll try and speed up the plot, because I know that the first ones are really boring... :P

x