The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"I'm a werewolf," Flint ranted. "I'm a pure-blooded werewolf and he's got me putting a bed together for his daughter, who I'm not allowed near in case I corrupt her."

I laughed and continued to put the sheets on.

"It's fucking madness, Cal, madness!"

"Well, is it any wonder you're not allowed near her?" I asked reasonably. "It's not like you're known for your long meaningful relationships."

Flint was determined not to lose this debate.

"I would if she was my mate," he protested, throwing down the duvet in a fit of inspiration. "But how am I meant to be able to find out if he won't let me go after her?"

I wasn't prepared to get into a conversation about mates. I wasn't even going to go there because every time I thought about finding one, my wolf snarled and snapped. Soon, it would be too hard to control and I would go crazy. Well, perhaps that was a bit over dramatic but that was what happened to Macca. Before he had met Georgina, he had been running up the walls. He would go out in the morning as a wolf and not come back for days. When he did finally return, his paws and muzzle were bloody from too much running and fighting. I didn't want that to happen to me but I equally didn't want to have a mate.

It was a choice I was going to have to make.

We put the rest of the sheets on and Flint left, leaving me to make the bed. I could have left it but I wasn't too sure how Daddy's Little Princess got on with her dad and if she would go squealing if I didn't do it right.

"You didn't have to do that," a voice from behind me said. I looked around and saw Annie standing in the doorway, her arms folder across her chest.

"It's fine," I replied. She moved into the room and sat down on the desk chair.

"How're you feeling?" I asked her, putting the pillows at the top of the bed. "I didn't think you'd be looking so...well, to be honest."

"I'm fine." She shrugged. "There won't even be any scars."

"That's good."

I finished her bed and looked at her. She definitely looked better; a pale pink flush had returned to her cheeks and she was no longer wearing her bloody parka. I smiled.

"What?" she said, running her fingers through her hair. She looked up at me, her eyes shining under the artificial light.

"None of knew Gordon even had a daughter," I told her, taking a seat on the bed. "We just thought that it was Jase and Radleigh."

Annie let out a bitter laugh.

"Yeah, he'd probably prefer that," she muttered venomously. "I'm just disappointment of the family."

I didn't know what to say to that so I just kept quiet. I seemed like Annie didn't really get on with her family. That was something we had in common; before he had died, I had told my dad that I hoped he rotted in hell. And my mum was somewhere in Australia spending his legacy.

"It was you, wasn't it," Annie whispered. I looked up and she was staring into my eyes. It was very off-putting. "You were the one who helped me."

"Erm...yeah, that was me," I said. She gave me a small smile.

"Thank you," she murmured. "I owe you."

"No, really it's fine; I wasn't going to let you bleed to death in the driveway."

Annie laughed and then yawned, rubbing her eyes. She stared at the bed longingly and I decided that it was best that I leave her to sleep. I stood up and she did the same.