Out

Prompt: Shance angst they had a big argument. Length is all up to you my dude.

A/N: I tried a little something different with this one!

Trigger warnings: homophobia, bullying

~   ~   ~

"Why can't we just tell them we're together?" Lance asked as he watched Shiro tug on his t-shirt, covering the scars that littered his back. Shiro stared at the ground as he tugged on the sleeve. He always left well before morning. He was afraid that someone would wake up and see him walking out of Lance's room in the morning.

"Lance..." Lance sat up in his bed, the blanket pooling around his waist. "Can we not talk about this? Not tonight" Shiro asked pleadingly. Lance balled up his fists as he let out a defeated sigh.

"Are you ashamed of me?" his question hung heavy in the air. Shiro paused.

He waited too long to answer.

"I-" Shiro began. Lance shook his head sharply, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Don't" He snapped. He looked pointedly at the ceiling. He wasn't going to cry in front of him. He wasn't.

"Lance, of course I'm not-" Shiro backtracked frantically. He moved toward the bed but Lance laughed tearfully and shot him an emotion filled look.

"Just go" he said flatly. Shiro deflated. He hadn't meant to pause. Of course he wasn't ashamed of Lance, how could he be? He never knew it was possible to love someone so much until he met Lance. But now here he was, hurting the person he loved most in the world, all because he was too afraid to tell him about his past.

Shiro felt like a coward.

Without another word, he left the room, leaving Lance alone sobbing into his pillow.

~   ~

It had been nearly two week since Lance had really talked to Shiro. Shiro didn't come to his room at night anymore. He stopped looking to Lance when they were training with that secret smile. He stopped subtly brushing his hand against Lance when they passed each other in the hallways alone. Lance was heartbroken.

The others knew something was wrong, but they didn't know what. Shiro was reserved and withdrawn, which he claimed was from tiredness, but no one believed it. Lance was scarily quiet, and it wasn't hard to see the red rim around his eyes each morning. He had obviously been crying, but he wouldn't say why.

Keith cornered Lance immediately after dinner one day. The minute the door to the dining room closed behind him he was there in front of Lance. 

"Spill" he said without preamble. Lance blinked in surprise and leaned away from Keith.

"What?" he asked, nervously shifting his weight back and forth. He just wanted to be alone. He had spent the better part of the morning crying. "I'm- I need to go to the bathroom. Can this wait?" Lance asked as he pushed past Keith.

"I know about you and Shiro" Keith said, his voice barely more than a whisper. But Lance heard it. Ice ran through his veins as he came to a sudden halt, nearly toppling himself over.

"Wh- What?" he stuttered, spinning around. Keith had no expression on his face. "I- I don't- We don't- I mean... we're not- We never- What?" Keith rolled his eyes.

"You're not as subtle as you think" he responded. "And besides, I've known Shiro for a long time. I can read him like the back of my hand. I know when he really cares about someone" Lance felt himself flush and the telltale sign of tears was building up behind his eyes. He cleared his throat and kicked his foot against the ground. "Come on. We can talk in my room"