Followed

Prompt: could you do one where Lance is certain that someone is following them but no one is listening and tells him to stop mucking around. It ends up with the person following waiting till he is alone and then attacking him and possibly stabbing him with a poison dagger or something ?? also he survives please i love my son too much

Trigger warnings: Injury, blood

~ ~ ~

"What are you looking at?" Shiro asked as Lance turned around for the seventh time. Shiro glanced his shoulder to see what he had been looking at. There was nothing.

"Uh, nothing. I don't know" he shrugged and continued marching forward. The paladins had flown to this planet in an attempted rescue mission, but after finding that the planet was completely abandoned, they began to head back to their lions.

"Where do you think they went?" Pidge asked. "The people who send the distress call" Shiro thought about it for a moment before responding.

"It may have been a system malfunction. The tech in that base looked like it hadn't been touched in years. But maybe someone was here, but got rescued before we arrived"

"Or they're dead" Keith said flatly.

"Keith" Shiro said sternly. Keith frowned.

"What? It's a real possibility" Lance was lagging behind the others now. He was sure that someone was staring at him. He could feel their eyes on the back of his neck. He resisted the urge to turn around. He had already looked back half a dozen times, finding nothing in the clearing behind him.

"It's morbid" Hunk piped up. Lance turned back to the conversation that was happening in front of him. "I don't want to think that they're dead. That means that we were too late..."

"Hunk's right" Shiro said. "We have to keep faith that that person, whoever they might be, made it out of here okay" Lance heard a noise behind him that made him stop in his tracks. Keith shot a look at Lance and then stopped as well.

"What is it?" he asked. The others stopped and turned to Lance with questioning stares. Lance's heart was hammering I his chest.

"Y- You didn't hear that?" he stuttered. No one responded. "That noise- The- The branch cracking? No one heard that!?" Shiro sighed.

"Lance, stop messing around" Hunk said quietly. "This isn't the time" Lance turned to him in dismay.

"I'm serious! I think someone is following us" Keith rolled his eyes.

"Of course you do. And you want us to split up and check the woods so that you can jump out and scare us. We're not dumb, Lance" Lance shook his head, growing frustrated.

"I'm not messing with you! I've been feeling like there's someone staring at me since we left that abandoned base. Someone's following us, I'm sure of it"

"Lance," Shiro said tiredly. "We don't have time for any of your jokes. Now come on, we have to get moving. I want to get off this planet before it gets dark" at his words, the others resumed walking, leaving Lance standing there alone.

He didn't understand why no one believed him. Did they really think that he would joke about something like this?

The others had already disappeared over the hill in front of him before Lance finally followed after them. He was upset that no one believed him, but he didn't want to be out here alone if there really was someone following them. He only made it a few steps before he heard something. It sounded like a cry coming from the woods to his left. Lance looked at the twisted trees, feeling unnerved.

"H- Hello?" he called. He looked back in the direction that the others had gone and then hesitantly stepped towards the woods. "Guys, did you hear that?" he called. There was no reply. They were too far ahead. He put his hand on his bayard and strode into the dark woods. "Hello? Is anyone in here?" Lance asked. There was no response, aside from the howl of the wind. "Creepy" Lance shuddered as he continued on. He hadn't imagined that scream. It sounded like someone was hurt. He wasn't just going to leave them behind.