Comfort

Prompt: lance gets sick and goes to shiro for comfort pls

Trigger warnings: Sickness, vomiting

~ ~ ~

Lance walked up to Shiro's door five times before he finally knocked. His knuckles barely touched the door before Shiro was standing there, looking like he had been getting ready for bed.

"What is it, Lance?" Shiro asked. Lance pinched his lips together and cleared throat.

"I- I don't..." Shiro eyed him carefully. "I don't feel good" he admitted. Shiro frowned.

"What's wrong?" he asked, ushering him into his room. Lance shuffled through the doorway.

"I feel- I feel sick" he stuttered out. Shiro looked closely at him. He looked sick. His skin was too pale, and he was covered in sweat. "I think I'm sick"

"Do you think you have a fever?" he asked, pressing his hand to Lance's forehead. Lance nodded. "Do you feel like you're going to throw up?" Lance's breathing hitched, and he nodded again. "Can you make it to the toilet or do you need a bucket?" as the word's left Shiro's lips Lance was hit with a wave of dizziness. He blinked his eyes rapidly and staggered backwards. "Whoa, whoa. C'mere. Sit down. It's okay" Shiro guided Lance down onto his bed. Lance put his head between his knees as Shiro ran to the bathroom to find a bucket. "Here you go" Shiro said as he set it next to Lance. He began rubbing Lance's shoulders. "You're okay. You're going to be okay" Lance sniffed and peered up at Shiro pitifully.

"C- can you put me in the healing pod?" he asked desperately. Shiro's hand stalled on Lance's back.

"What?" Lance's bottom lip quivered.

"Please, Shiro" he pleaded. "Put me in the healing pod. Just for a few hours. I'm sure that will help"

"Lance, I can't just put you in there for a fever. Those pods are only for if you're seriously injured. I'm sure this will pass soon. You'll probably feel better in the morning, or after you throw up" Lance shuddered. "What?" Lance made himself small.

"I hate... throwing up" he said weakly. "It makes me..." he sucked in a breath. "It makes me anxious" he looked like he was on the verge of tears. "I can't do it" he felt another wave of nausea creeping up his throat. He doubled over and started gasping for breath. "I can't breathe" he cried. "I can't- I can't-!" Shiro pushed the bucket in between Lance's knees just in time. Lance immediately threw up into the bucket. When he finished, he promptly began crying. Shiro sat with him, continuously rubbing his back, calmly reminding him to breathe. Lance was shaking with how hard he was crying.

When he had calmed down a little Shiro took the bucket and cleaned it out and then sat back down next to Lance, who was now sitting on the floor next to the bed, and shivering. Shiro draped a blanket around Lance's shoulders. "Do you feel alright?" he asked him. Lance hesitated.

"I- I—" he whimpered. "I don't know if I'm sick or if I'm just—"

"If you're just anxious?" Shiro provided. Lance nodded. "Do you want to talk about what's wrong?" he asked. Lance hunched his shoulders.

"There's nothing wrong" he said in a small voice. Shiro gave him a look. "I'm serious. I just... really don't like getting sick" he explained. "It reminds me of having an anxiety attack, and that makes me actually have an anxiety attack and that makes me sick and... it's really hard to get it to stop" Shiro patted Lance's shoulder sympathetically. "Can't you put me in the healing pod for even a few minutes?" he pleaded.

"I'm really sorry, bud" A shiver ran down Lance's spine. He felt bile building up in the back of his throat. He whimpered.

"Shiro- I- I'm gonna—" his bottom lip quivered as he whined.

"Shh... Just breathe" Shiro said soothingly. "Take deep breaths" he rubbed Lance's shoulders as he hunched over the bucking and threw up again.

"I hate this" Lance said spitting into the bucket and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. Tears were filling up his eyes again as he struggled for breath. Shiro tried to calm him down.

"I know. It sucks" he said. "But you're going to get through this. It won't last forever" Dizziness filled Lance's head. He squeezed his eyes shut and moaned, trying to push back his nausea. "Breathe with me" Shiro instructed. "In," he took a deep breath in. "Out" he exhaled slowly. Lance shakily followed Shiro's breaths. It seemed to help him a little. Lance collapsed backwards, leaning against his bed.

"I can't do this anymore" Lance said, his heart was hammering in his chest. He felt like he was going to die. "I'm not going to. I can't" Shiro looked over at Lance helplessly. There was nothing he could do for him. Tears began to track down Lance's face. "Please" Lance sobbed. "Just let me go into the pod. Just let me go" he cried desperately. Shiro pulled the boy into his arms and held him there.

"I'm sorry" he breathed. Lance gripped Shiro's shirt tightly. He was trembling in Lance's arms.

"I don't want to do this anymore. I can't- I can't do it" 

"I don't think you have much of a choice" Lance began hyperventilating again as his stomach churned. He bent over the bucket and dry-heaved. His stomach was empty. His throat burned. Lance sucked in a deep breath and then leaned back. "Do you think you're going to throw up any more?" he asked. Lance shook his head, exhausted.

"I'm all out" he said jokingly. His voice was weak. Shiro eyed him in concern.

"Here," he said, pushing a cup of water into his hands. "Take small sips of this" Lance lifted the cup to his lips and drank a little. Shiro felt Lance's forehead. He was still burning up. He was completely drenched in sweat. Lance leaned into Shiro's hand.

"You're cold" he mumbled. The corner of Shiro's mouth curled up.

"And you're tired" he said. "We should get you back to your room, so you can rest up" Shiro rose to his feet and thought about what he should bring with him. "I'll get you a clean bucket that you can take just in case. I'll come check on you in the morning. I know it hurts but try and drink as much of this water as you can manage" he said.

Lance grabbed Shiro's wrist as he turned away from him. "Please don't leave" he whispered, not looking at him. Shiro's expression softened.

"O-okay" he said, sitting back down.

"I don't want to be alone" Lance admitted. Shiro put his hand on Lance's arm.

"That's fine. I'll stay, if you want" he promised.

Shiro sat up with him the whole night, comforting him as he got sick hour after hour, until finally the morning came. Lance's fever finally broke, and his nausea faded. Shiro was sitting on his bed, with Lance between his legs resting his head on Shiro's chest.

"Are you feeling better?" Shiro asked hoarsely. It had been a long night, and neither of them slept. Lance's face burned with embarrassment.

"Yeah" he was embarrassed that Shiro had seen him like that. Weak. "I'm sorry to bother you" Shiro frowned.

"It's no problem" Shiro said. Lance turned away. "Lance, I'm serious" he said kindly. "It's not problem. Really" Lance shrugged uncomfortably. "You shouldn't have to suffer alone" he said.

"Yeah, but whenever anyone else is sick they deal with it themselves" Lance said quietly. Shiro laughed shortly.

"Are you kidding? Keith has been in here no less than seven times because he has a stuffy nose and can't breathe. Pidge comes to me for headaches from reading too much. Even Hunk comes to me when he has a cold" Lance lowered his head. He had no idea. "You're not the only one who gets sick, Lance. And you're not weak for wanting help" Lance sighed. He wasn't so sure.

"Okay, thanks, Shiro" he mumbled.

"Anytime" he replied. "And Lance? I really mean that"