Giveaway Fic #2

Summary: {Modern Witch AU} Lance had a curse cast on him by the witch Haggar, so Hunk went off to try and break the curse. Now he's missing, and Lance has to find him using magic, the one thing that he's never been good at.

A/N: This fic is for the second place winner of my writing giveaway, @/1fuckoff1​. Ps. I know zero things about spell work and stuff like that, so I made it all up. Also I wish I could've expanded on several things but it would've been waay longer than 2k words lol.

Follow me @/prince-yoongi on tumblr if you want a chance to win during my next writing giveaway!

~ ~ ~

Lance took one last glance at the wrinkled photo of Hunk sitting on the table and then grit his teeth. The knife sliced through his palm. It was deeper than he was meant to, but it would still work. He watched as the droplets of blood dripped off his hand and into the fire in front of him. The fire turned a dark shade of purple, casting strange shadows all around the room.

"Please work, please work" Lance muttered under his breath. Nothing happened. "Come on" he breathed. The fire suddenly went out. Then the wound on his hand glowed purple, sending waves of pain through Lance's arm. And then it disappeared. Lance stared at the now faded mark on his hand. He didn't know if the spell had worked.

Lance was never very good at spell work. He wasn't good at guessing amounts or knowing what enchantments worked best. He mainly relied on everyday spells and let Hunk deal with the rest. But now, now Lance was on his own. He could no longer rely on his other half to do these spells for him.

"Okay..." Lance took a deep breath and blew it out. The hard part was over. Lance grabbed a handful of the powder he had meticulously mixed for this specific spell. The spell to find his other half. Hunk. Lance threw the mixture into the waning purple fire and muttered the words under his breath. This was a tracing spell. He had to find Hunk before it was too late.

Hunk had disappeared two days earlier. He went off to find the witch Haggar to break the curse that she had set on Lance. The curse of bad luck. Hunk never returned. Lance had tried finding him with simple communication spell, but the spell failed to reach him. Everything Lance had done over the past few weeks ended in failure.

Just like this spell.

If it had worked correctly a purple beacon should have appeared in the room and shown Lance where to find Hunk. This was a powerful spell, something that only advanced magic users knew how to do. Lance had found it in one of Hunk's books. Hunk would've known how to do it correctly. All Lance had managed to do was leave a scar on his hand, and a burnt spot on his floor.

"Hunk, where are you" Lance said wearily. His forehead was covered in sweat from the effort it took to create this spell, and from the fire in front of him. It continued to dwindle until it went out completely, leaving Lance in the dark. Alone. The spell failed, and now Lance was out of ideas. He had promised Hunk that he wouldn't leave their apartment, because of his bad luck curse. If he left the building he was sure to be killed in a freak accident, or cause someone serious bodily harm. So, they both agreed that it was best for him to stay there until Hunk found a way to fix this.

But not Hunk was gone, and Lance was alone.

"Fuck this" Lance breathed, getting up from his place on the floor. If he couldn't use spells to fund him, he would just have to go looking for him. Lance hurried around the room, collecting items and shoving them into his bag. He tried to create a luck spell from himself out of orchids and morning glories, but both flowers had wilted in the windowsill. In fact, the only plants that were around were the cacti that had somehow rooted themselves into the flowerbox outside his window. That did not make Lance feel any better.