Seek God

For I was ashamed to request of the king am escort of soldiers and horsemen to help us against the enemy on the road, because we had spoken to the king, saying, "The hand of our God is upon all those for good who seek Him, but His power and His wrath are against all those who forsake Him."
Ezra 8:22

Forsake means to abandon or renounce and turn entirely away from. I needed this verse to help my understanding, but I am still confused. How does one forsake God?
I mean, many people go through the motions of being faithful, is this wrong? We have to seek God. Is going to church, tithing, and saying you believe enough? This I can't answer.
Why do I care? I can't explain that either. I know you can't force the Word of God on people. I want to try to share God's love with people, that's all.
It gets so frustrating at times, many people don't seem to really care or have time for God. I feel God must show His power, and maybe then, just maybe, people will pay attention. The fear of God doesn't seem to be in many people.
God is responsible for everything that happens - yes, the good and the bad. He doesn't do the bad things, but He allows Satan to do them, just like in the book of Job. If He does malicious things, then He always gives people warning through His prophets beforehand. These malicious things are the result of the people being unfaithful.
Seek God hard, harder than you ever have. He loves us, but we must do our part, namely loving Him. God is first before anything - spouse, family, job, house, etc. Good time to write - tell God you love Him.

The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.