John the Baptist

I will quote many verses before I comment -

     There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
                     John 1:6

     And they asked him, "What then?  Are you Elijah?"  He said, "I am not."  "Are you the Prophet?"  And he answered, "No."
                    John 1:21

     "He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
                   Luke 1:17

     "And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come."
                Matthew 11:14

     Behold, I will send you
          Elijah the prophet
     Before the coming of the
          great and dreadful day of
          the LORD.
     And he will turn
     The hearts of the fathers to
          the children,
     And the hearts of the
          children to their fathers,
     Lest I come and strike the
          earth with a curse."
                 Malachi 4:5,6

     Wow, I thought this would be easy - I opened to John 1:6.  God sent John, end of the entry, yeah right.  Don't get me wrong, I love this. 
     It can get a little confusing, but let's try to clarify a few things.  Elijah and John did both equally execute God's will.  This is a little tough to explain.
     Elijah was born during the time of Baal worship.  I read somewhere that Baal was worshiped almost as much or maybe a little more than God, at this time.  But God used Elijah to prove that He was the living God - 1 Kings chapter 18. 
      Elijah was very important to God.  He was taken in a whirlwind up to heaven.  Also, Elijah, Moses, and Jesus were the only men that fasted for forty days and nights.  God used Elijah to bring the people back to Him.
     An angel of the LORD said that John told Zacharias (John's father) that John would go before Jesus in the power and spirit of Elijah.  John himself humbly said that he wasn't Elijah.  It is a moot point, John like Elijah was sent by God! 
     I myself believe that Malachi 4 refers to the Second Coming; but now or for a while, have believed it refers to the First and Second Comings of Christ.  The Bible is the living word.  Jesus said that John was Elijah, and I believe Him. 
     God is speaking, and I am trying to listen.  Enough for now.  Tell God you love Him.

The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

     Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.