Break the bond

Once the words left his mouth, time froze for me. It took me some time to process his words. I mean I knew he had to mark me sooner or later, but I wanted to get to know him first. I definitely did not want to do it with audience.

"What do you mean?", Asher asked. Of course, he being a vampire wouldn't know about marking.

"You both have to mark each other and then have your mate, in your case, your lover, to mark over it.", he said.

That had me going in yet another round of shock. I thought only my mate will be doing but this was news for me. This was getting weird by each word, his to be exact.

I mean marking is a precious thing among the mates. I know for one that Raden wouldn't be able to control Lucas when Asher marks me.

"How does this help the case?", Raden asked.

"According to you werewolves, when a person marks you, the wolf side bonds with them despite its protests. So in order to break it, another person has got to mark you over it. In this case, it will be effective only when the true mate marks you.", he said.

Hearing his explanation, it seemed logical, but that doesn't mean I am, in any way, comfortable doing this.

Things finally fit in Asher's mind. He looked at me with pleading eyes, as if reading my mind.

Oh right, he can read.

"Please, little mate. You have to help me in here. If you do this, you will also be free from me.", he begged.

What he said was true. If I didn't break this bond, I will not be able to be with Raden whole-heartedly, mate or not. There would be part of me which would long for Asher. I nodded reluctantly, after considering the pros and cons, which were not much.

"Another thing, once you mark each other, your mates have to mark you immediately, in order for the mark to neutralize. If the mark is not overdone within five minutes, the mark will turn permanent. There will be no revert back, whatsoever.", he said in a serious tone.

"I will call for Sophia immediately.", Asher said before leaving to call his mate.

I nodded at them before leaving the room. I went straight to my room and spread out on my bed, facing the ceiling. I heard the door open and close before he settled down next to me.

"You needn't do this if you don't want to. That leech doesn't get to force you into doing anything you don't want to.", he said.

"That's the thing. I want to do this for me, but I don't seem to have the confidence to carry out the process. I am not ready to be marked.", I confessed.

He remained silent for sometime before speaking again.

"I know."

After that we sat there for what seemed like hours, with him listening while I poured out my thoughts from morning, until Gabriel came to fetch us.

I straightened myself and followed him, along with Raden, to grandpa's office, where Asher stood along with a girl, whom I deciphered was Sophia.

She didn't seem to be happy being in here, definitely not in my presence.

Asher gave me a strained smile. I smiled back before turning to Carter, who cleared his throat seeking our attention.

"You might want to get over with this soon. I ask the both of you to mark each other.", he said pointing to me and Asher.

"Could we at least have some privacy?", I asked, getting a little irritated with everything happening.

He simply shrugged at that.