Matthew Sharp

I was finally leaving the pack. I had taken the decision long back, when mother had told me about how they had to send away their people, since they didn't have adequate support. I had to do this at least for mom and mother if not for me.

Convincing dad and uncle was the hardest. They wouldn't bother to listen to my explanation. They were not ready to let me out of the house much less the pack. They went as much as to house arresting me. Since they wanted to do the hard way, I decided on not having any food. They begged me as to what has to be done for me to eat. I told them that I wished for them to sit and listen to what I had to say.

I explained them the main reason as to how I want to fulfill my mom's wish to rebuild the empire. Then I told them about the whole thing about Noah and Kira. Even though dad knew it already, uncle having heard it for the first time was more or less squealing at the happy news. I told them how I needed to give them space, for them to work out whatever it was that they had between them.

Tahliya on the other hand was a crying mess. I mean I might have shed a few tears here and there, but the thing is all she did was cry. I had to call Daniel, who didn't so much as to acknowledge me, since I told him I would be going alone, to console her. She kept shouting profanities for leaving her alone and going. But I had no other choice.

Mother tried coercing me into bringing her along. I did think about it at first but later decided against it. I had to assess the situation there before taking anyone along.

In the case of Noah, he had kept his distance since the other day. I could tell he was shocked at my decision to leave, but he didn't raise his opinion.

As for Kira, she is yet to make any move. After telling her about my departure I had immediately left her place. The ball is in her court now. Whether she takes it or throws it in the dust is up to her.

I took my duffel bag before going down to the living room where everyone waited. Everyone included Tah, mother, dad, uncle. Of course, Daniel didn't feel the need to be present. Tears prickled in my eyes. I quickly dried them, before they could make an appearance. Once down I took turns hugging each of them, before going to the car that uncle and dad had arranged for me, which would take me to my destination.

I put in my duffel bag on the backseat and turned around to give them a final wave. My eyes darted around hoping that he would be around. Seeing that he wasn't anywhere, I sighed giving up. I finally turned around and pulled at the handle. I settled and the car started at once. As the car sped, the tears that had been welled up poured down. The clouds blackened as if matching my mood.

Once the car came to a halt, I looked around and realized that we had reached an open ground which is likely to be the pack territory. I thanked the driver and went to fetch my bag.

"This is for you, ma'am.", he said handing out an envelope.

"Who gave it to you?", I asked.

"I don't know his name, ma'am.", he said shaking his head.

I nodded before taking my bag and stepping out. I moved into the pack lands, while the car veered back in the way we came.

This is it.

I eyed the half broken wood houses, half burnt trees, remains of bones here and there. My stomach knotted at the sight. Hearing it, is one thing, but witnessing it, is different.

In the distance I saw a hunched silhouette sitting on a broken branch. I neared it, to see a man, who could pass for my granddad, poking the ground aimlessly with a twig. It wasn't until I stopped next to him that I realized that he wasn't just poking but writing something. I tried reading it, but before I could decipher anything, it was ruined by the way he stood up alerted by my presence. He was good six feet tall. I was face-to-chest with him. He looked good, for an old man like him. He had brown eyes with green speckles. He seemed to have had brown hair, which had turned gray for the most of it.

"Hana?", he spoke breathlessly.

"Who?", I asked, not quite gathering what he said. I mean, I was busy taking in his appearance.

"Sorry, I took you for someone I knew. May I know what you are doing here?", he asked, his voice hoarse.

"This is my mother's pack and you are?", I asked him not knowing his purpose here.

"What is your mother's name?", he asked with a hint of hope in his voice.

I wanted to ask him as to why he hasn't answered my question yet, but I know better than to defy an elder, a stranger at that.

"Hana Dunbar", I replied meekly.

"Matthew Sharp"