War

Day 1

The wind flew by with a whizzing sound, taking the top layer sand along with it. Neither of the sides made any movement to move from their places. The barren land stretched between them, making it even more eerie, than it already was.

The morning of that day had been nerve-racking, if anything, for the werewolves. They had to wake up to witness, one of their pack members lying dead on the land, which was not a sight to behold. The unspoken message was delivered to everyone. They understood that the time had come.

The werewolves stood at their side, with Caroline, Daniel, Noah and a few warriors from Serene Pack and Stalwart pack, in the front. Orion and Richard stood at the side, standing as a backup. Caroline made it clear that, she was not having them anywhere in the war field.

The vampires finally getting their orders from the vampire king, jumped forward screeching, signaling that the war was on.

The werewolves, preparing themselves cast forward and made a formation in such a way, that they blocked the way for the vampires, from entering their territory.

Standing at their positions they waited for the vampires to reach them. The ones standing in the front, along with Caroline took a protective stance in front of the first layer of the formation, standing few feet behind them.

Soon the vampires came charging them. The front row warriors fought the on-coming vampires. As they fought their share of vampires, the other vampires slipped past them reaching the first layer. The werewolves stood in their human form taking a defensive stance. Each werewolf had one arm distance between them, so that they could move around comfortably.

From the looks of it, things were not going great for the werewolves. The vampires took the space between them to their advantage. Using their fast speed, they moved left and right in a blink of an eye. Their tactics drove the werewolves to impatience. Running out of tolerance, they started jumping at the vampires. Getting the reaction they wanted, the leeches paired up and moved towards each other, causing werewolves to dash into each other. Using the leverage, the vamps charged forward. Before they could go further, the second layer of warriors took up their positions, copying the formation similar to that of the first layer.

The vampires tried using the same tactics, but the warriors didn't make a move, having witnessed their little performance up front. They waited for their moment of weakness, to take their chance to attack. Slowly and steadily, vampires started losing their stance. They weren't the only ones losing their stance, werewolves were dying too. Howls totaled with the piercing cries echoed through the war field. Neither of it seemed to cease any time then.

Caroline, Daniel and Noah, fighting in the front, doubled up each time a howl split through the air. The thirst for victory increased with each strike on their side.

While all this happened in the war field, the vampire sat at his room and watched the war play on, through the eyes of his men. On the other hand, Richard and Orion stood at their positions, away from the war field, watching the war unfold and their men dying, but unable to do anything about it either.

The war didn't cease no matter what, instead it kept growing intense. More and more blood was shed, making the dry sand turn red.

The moment all the light vanished from the sky, everything came to a stop. The nature took it in it to stop the ever growing bloodbath. The unspoken message that the war has come to a halt, spread through the crowd. Neither vampires nor the werewolves made a move against their opponents. It was a rule of war, that there shall be no fight after the sun sets.

The werewolves helped carrying themselves, while limping across the field. A few of those who had not been majorly injured helped carry the twenty warriors who had lost their lives that day.

On reaching the pack, things were rushed to hold a ritual for them. Once every one of them was buried under the ground, the injured ones were tended to.

While others were being taken care of at the pack hospital, Caroline slipped to her room to aid her injuries by herself. She had taken so many lives that day, apart from the injuries she had caused, but she didn't feel the least bit guilty about it. As she was thinking all those, her eyes spotted the letter near her table. She stopped treating her injuries and fetched the letter from its spot.

She skimmed through the letter, reading it once again, searching for anything that could be of use. It wasn't until she spotted one thing, that she was happy and beyond relief for the first time on that day.

Just like that she knew the fate had chosen their side from then on.

She ran to the alpha office where the others were at, to tell them what she had found. If it was any indication, then she was sure that the next day will give them a different result.

Day 2

The break of dawn couldn't have seen a happier Caroline than it saw on that day. Preparing herself along with the pack members she led them to the war field. Richard and Orion had no problem in her leading their pack to the war, except for worrying about her safety. But they knew that it was her fight to fight and that they can't prevent her no matter what. As for Daniel, he was satisfied with the fact that he could have her in his eyesight throughout the war. As for Noah, his dislike was not taken into consideration.

Once they resumed their positions in the field, the war began once again. The vampires, upon closer inspection, noticed that the arrangement weren't the same as the first day. The first layer of protection stood in their wolf form unlike the other day. Without putting much thought into it the vampires moved forward. Instead, they thought of using the height difference to their advantage.

When the vamps lurched forward, Caroline along with other front warriors made sure to step aside from them, making it look like they were giving them an upper hand. What the vampires didn't know was, they were falling into the werewolves' trap.

When they reached the first layer, cries filled the air. The vampires fell down, burning into ashes. The thing about vampires was that, there was only two ways to end their lives, either snap out their heads or burn them to ashes. The werewolves snapped the heads of the vampires, making sure to leave a trail of their garlic dipped nails on the vampire bodies, burning them in the process. The werewolves made sure to burn as many vampires as they could, serving them as a tribute to all their brothers, fathers and sons who had lost their lives on the first day of the war.

The cries did not seem to suspend any time then. The vampires slowly began to be outnumbered by the wolves. Unlike the previous day, the vampires couldn't surpass the first layer. Even if they did make it, they didn't last long.

After making sure most of the vampires had gone past them, Caroline and others stepped into their positions. She snapped as many necks as possible. Her body reeked of blood, but she couldn't care less. If having blood on her hands, was the only way she could put an end to this, then so be it.

As per Caroline's instructions all the wolves had their body washed with garlic along with their teeth and nails which were dipped in garlic paste. All those who stood in their human forms had guns with them, filled with syringes containing garlic mixture.

That day came to an end with werewolves having to deal with at most a few serious injuries while the vampires lost most of them, forcing the vampire king out.