Safe zones

Reading the letter, it reminded me of the witch's words.

You have to kill the vampire king. Only then will you be able to escape him.

He has started the game and he shall end it by himself.

I had been preoccupied in my thoughts that I didn't hear the wails. I looked up from the letter and saw a series of frightened faces. The children had followed us and were shaken by the gory scene in front of them. They seemed to have lost all the spirit they had in them while training before. This was taking a toll on them.

I asked for uncle to call an emergency meeting while Tah and few others led the children back. Few others were ordered to clear the body while I held onto the letter in my fist.

Once we went into the alpha office we settled down and took a moment, to assess the situation that took place, on our own.

"What is it that you want to discuss Carol?", uncle asked, who sat behind his desk.

"We have to leave the children out of this."

"What do you mean?", he asked.

"There are petrified by what happened. They can't handle what they see in a war.", I reasoned out.

"What kind of bull are you saying? They are being trained for that purpose only.", Noah shouted at me.

"From what I have seen, they have lost their spirit in it. They might be physically stable from the training. But for them to train they have to be mentally strong too, which they are not anymore. That is why we are leaving them out of this."

"Whom do you think we are fighting, a pup? Fucking vampires. You seemed to be worried about the children, but who was the one who put them in it in the first place? You.", he said pointing his finger at me.

I gasped at that.

"What, do you think that I didn't know about that? I know. It's because of you being a half vampire that we are facing this hell. If it had not been for you, there wouldn't have been a need to worry about the mental stability of the children, as you say, now.", he said with bitterness.

"Stop there, Noah. You don't know half of it. You have no idea about how much she had to suffer. You know nothing.", Daniel said jumping up.

"And why should I care, when she is the cause for the state of insecurity amongst my pack? I worry only about my pack, as for her I never considered her as one since long ago."

"STOP IT!", uncle shouted in alpha tone. Surprisingly, it didn't seem to have an effect on me, neither was Daniel, though he flinched slightly. I bowed down out of respect.

"No one shall talk about Carol. She has nothing to do with this. Noah, behave yourself. As for you, Daniel, even if the other person is wrong, think where you are before behaving as such. Both of you, this is an alpha office not a place for you to shout. Here, only I am allowed to raise my voice. So, if anyone feels like they can't stay down, they can readily leave the office but they will be never welcomed in any of the future meetings.", uncle ordered.

No one uttered a word. If I didn't know better I would have said everyone forgot to breathe. As I said, uncle never showed this side of him. He was an easygoing man.

"Now that we have come to an understanding, let's deal with the current matter at hand. At the moment, we are lagging in number even with Zach's help. So, even though your suggestion is of good intentions, we might not be able to carry it out. We are fighting the vampires, him being the king himself we don't know how many he might have at his go. For all we know, he could make an attack unexpectedly and sweep our pack completely.", he said.

"That was what I said but without any sugar-sweetening.", Noah murmured.

Daniel growled lowly at him.

"Doors are open", uncle reminded them.

"But uncle, we could always ask for help from other packs. From what I know, alpha Zach has already sent many who might compensate for the children. All we need are a few more and we will be ready for the war."

"True, but we don't have any other pack, we might know, who could help us at the moment.", dad pointed.

I thought about it.

"Why don't we try asking Kira's dad?", I suggested.

"Don't speak her name.", Noah yelled.

Uncle growled at him.

"Noah, leave the room.", he ordered in a tone making it clear that he wasn't taking no for an answer.

Noah stomped his way out of the room murmuring under his breath.

"It is a good idea, but I don't think it will work, seeing that Kira is no longer staying here."

"It won't hurt to try, uncle.", I suggested.

He nodded and called on his phone.

Once he finished talking he turned to us.

"I called him to have a meeting. I thought it would be best to apologize and talk about this matter, in person. He has agreed to come tomorrow after lots of persuasion.", he said.

"Now that we have that matter off our shoulders, we need to prepare for safe zones."