IT'S MY JOB

The air felt cool on your skin as you quickly moved through the city, stopping to catch your breath. Your worried eyes glanced backwards to see a guy chasing after you still, his weapon held out before him.

You couldn't do this.

You stood up from the slumped position, facing him and letting him do whatever he needed to do to end it all for you.

A shot.

You sat up quickly, clutching your heart in your hand as your blankets bundled around your waist.

It felt like all the oxygen in your body had left and wasn't coming back to you. You quickly turned on a lamp and looked around your bedroom, seeing nothing.

You reached over to your nightstand, unplugging your phone and seeing Peter's name on the screen.

Your eyes pressed his contact name and called him, your fingers still gripping your soft blankets in handfuls.

"Peter?" You asked him in a shaky voice.

"_____, what's wrong? Why do you sound like that? Is everything okay? Where are you? Are you home? Are you safe? Are you okay? Who did this to you?"

You stopped him. "Peter, it's okay. I'm home. I need you to come here right now."

He nodded to himself. "Of course. I'm on my way. I'll be there soon."

-
The window to your bedroom in your dad's safe apartment was opened, allowing Peter to be able to swing in safely to see you.

You kept it this way for several nights.

A swoosh of air reminded you that you had called up your superhero boyfriend to come rescue you from the nightmares.

Your fearful eyes looked up to his mask that he quickly took off and set on your desk, quickly coming over and embracing you in a tight hug.

You suddenly felt so comforted as you closed your eyes and held back onto him, clutching him against his suit.

Your breathing was shaky, causing Peter to ask softly, "____, what happened?"

Continuing to hold onto him, you slowly responded with a short answer. "I was murdered."

Peter grew suddenly tense, you could feel it in his muscles as he held onto you in his embrace. "You what?"

"I, I was having a nice dream and things went south and before you knew it, I was on the street. A man with some high tech weapon killed me, Peter. I didn't even get to see goodbye."

Peter continued to hold onto you as tears slipped from your eyes. He gently leaned back and wiped them away, staring down into your eyes.

He tenderly pressed a kiss to your forehead, stroking your cheek with his gloved hands softly. You kept your eyes on his.

"____, I will always protect you. I would never let anything bad happen to you- I couldn't. It would kill me and your dad."

You only continued to stare up at him before pressing your lips to his, holding onto him for what seemed like it would be your last kiss.

When you let go, he gave you a gentle smile and pulled you back into his arms.

You gratefully accepted it, holding onto him.

"I hate putting you through this stuff, Peter."

He chuckled, rubbing your back softly.

"____, it's my job to protect people- especially my girlfriend. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't stop something terrible from happening to you."

You nodded, clutching onto him as your eyes began to shut, making you fall asleep. Your breathes turned into an even pattern as Peter pressed a gentle kiss to your head, holding onto you still.

He didn't want to leave your side until the morning golden light came in through the curtains and provided a protective cover from the darkness of night.

He loved you.

-
awe

treat people with kindness.

-katherine