OLDER SISTER

The sun shone dimly through your closed curtains, an attempt to escape from the world for a minute and sit down with a good book and read to entertain yourself.

Your sister burst into the room with a smile on her face and a phone in her right hand, waiting for you to look up from turning the pages.

You didn't move.

"_____."

Your eyes briefly glanced up to see her, smiling, and going back to staring at the words on the pages.

"_____." She groaned out in annoyance.

Finally giving in, you sighed and set the book aside. "What is it, Lucy? You interrupted my afternoon reading and you know I don't get much of that time."

She nodded. "I know, I know, and I'm sorry. But I have some good news!"

"For you or for me." You scoffed, getting off the bed and going over to your curtains, opening them knowing you wouldn't get the time to read today.

"You know your friend Peter Parker?" She asked you, earning back a laugh in response.

"Of course I know my best friend, Lucy, why wouldn't I? What's up?" You asked her, leaning against the window.

"He just asked me on a date!"

You choked back a thick swallow of nausea. Peter always talked about your good qualities and how lucky he felt to have a best friend like you but never did you think he would go for your older sister when you two had been best friends for years.

"Uh, that's- that's great!" You choked out, forcing a smile on your pained lips.

Lucy squealed. "I know! He's such a dork but if I can live with one, surely dating one isn't so bad, right? I'll let you know how it goes!"

"Is it tonight?" You asked her, perking up a little to see if you could make plans with Peter now.

She shook her head. "Tomorrow night."

With that, she left your room as you sighed heavily, the kind of sigh that made your shoulders get filled with anxiety and hurt all at once. Did Peter give up on you or would he never see you for what you saw him?

You grabbed your phone from off the nightstand, tapping on Peter's number as you began to pace around your room.

"Hey, Pete."

"Hey, ____!" He replied back cheerily. He was definitely excited about going out with your- older sister.

"Can we meet downtown in, like, five minutes?" You asked him, running a hand messily through your hair to ease the nerves.

"Sure, is it something to do with my alter ego?"

You sighed, looking at the book on your bed as you grabbed your jacket from off the hook attached to your bed frame.

"No, it has to deal with you, Peter."

-
"So, what did you need to talk about?"

You firmly crossed your arms in an attempt to block your arms and upper torso out from the cold.

"Peter, what's one of the best moments with me that you can remember?"

He smiled. "Easy. Whenever you came over one night after I finished kicking ass on the streets and we watched Star Wars with some food Ned brought over."

You nodded, your mind tracing over the memories in your head. They were sweet, almost dripping with sugar and honey.

"What about one of the worst moments with me?" You asked him next, to his surprise.

"Uh, that's kind of hard. It would probably have to be whenever you found out I was Spider-Man and didn't talk to me for about two weeks, trying to sort everything out."

There was silence between the two of you.

"Is that what this is about? Me not telling you I was Spider-Man earlier? Because, _____, I really wanted to tell you, but-"

You shook your head, pulling your hat down further over your chilled ears and snuggling your neck into the scarf.

"No, Peter, it's not about that. It's about my older sister, who you're apparently going out with now."

Peter's once happy face dropped into a somber expression. "Oh."

There was once again, silence, between the two of you while you both continued to walk steadily towards an unknown destination.

"I wanted to tell you earlier, but I couldn't find the right words to do so. It shouldn't of been this difficult to tell you. After all, you're my best friend. I share everything with you."

You nodded, memories flooding back.

"I'm sorry."

You shook your head, wiping a fallen tear.

"Nothing we can do now."

Peter looked over at you, suddenly noticing the silver tears running a race down your cheek.

"Oh my god, ____?"

You sighed out heavily.

"I'm just your best friend, Peter. I don't blame you for not wanting to ruin something we have together- even if you didn't want to be with me in the first place. It's okay. I understand now."

Peter looked so upset with himself.

"_____, I-"

You nodded, looking back towards the concrete. "It's okay, Peter. I'll see you at school tomorrow."

With that, you turned and walked back in the direction of your building with tears streaming down your face.

-
treat people with kindness.

-katherine