STEAL MY GIRL (II)

while you two were out at the movie, you left the theater to go get some more popcorn and leaving peter in the theater to continue watching the movie. when you exited and walked down the hallway, you walked up to the counter and asked for more popcorn. while you were waiting for it, you picked at your nails before the guy behind the counter slid you the bucket back. when you turned around, you saw ned was standing behind you.

"______, can we talk?" he asked as you felt your breath hitch in your throat. you finally responded after taking it in for a moment.

"peter is waiting on me to come back," you told him as you were about to walk past him but ned began following you. 

"______, come on," he said as you saw the theater you and peter were watching the movie in approaching. you didn't say anything until you reached the door and you were about to open it when ned stopped you. "______, talk to me. come on."

"ned," you said, letting out a sigh as you turned to face him. "peter is really mad about all of this."

ned looked down at you as you began to open the door but he pushed it back closed once more. 

"what is it, ned?" you asked, feeling your heart tightening in your chest. 

"can i please just talk to the two of you?" he asked gently as the door suddenly pushed open to reveal peter who was wondering where you had gone this entire time. 

"______, there you are. i was waiting for you to come back and you- ned," he said, suddenly noticing his best friend. he ushered you inside as he nodded at ned before he finally spoke. 

"peter, can i talk to the two of you? tonight?" he asked. 

"i'm really not sure it's a good idea to have ______ there," peter responded. "she's just going to end up distracting me or something. and i know that i'll get more protective over her if she is there. let's just talk at school."

with that, he shut the door and joined you again at your seats that you two had. you looked over at him as he sat down and placed an arm around your seat. you looked at him for a little bit before returning to the movie. 

"what did you tell him, pete?"

he sighed, moving his arm to be around you instead of resting on the chair. 

"can we talk about this later?" he asked, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as you looked back over at him, seeing his eyes looking at the movie before shifting away and looking towards the door. you nodded.

"let's go," you told him softly. 

he looked over at you. you nodded, grabbing your bag as you stood up and grabbed his hand in yours as the two of you left the theater. you threw away the remnants of the popcorn and the bucket before you both walked out of the theater building. 

when you got out onto the street, you looked up at him as you stopped him. 

"what did you tell him?" you asked, tightening your hold on his hand. "sitting in that movie theater was going to kill you, babe. i could tell by how your eyes kept shifting towards the door." 

peter sighed, looking out towards the busy street as you kept staring up at him before he finally made eye contact with you once more. 

"i told him that he and i would talk at school," he muttered.

you sighed. "pete, i think that a conversation over our relationship and his should not be had at school. do you know what could happen if people hear it and think that we're having issues or that ned is being a homewrecker of some sorts?"

"well, where else would you suggest, darling? because i frankly don't want-" he began but you cut him off. 

"peter, you're hurting me, stop," you told him softly. he looked down, letting go of your hand as you looked towards your shoes. 

"see, this is why i can't do this with you. i'm going to be distracted by you or hurt you." 

it was silent between the two of you as peter looked out towards the street behind you, just observing everything behind you. you looked up at him momentarily before hearing your phone ring in your bag. you looked back down to go dig through your bag to find your phone as peter watched. 

when you found it, you pulled it out and answered it immediately. 

"hello?" you asked, seeing peter staring down at you in confusion as to who was on the phone. when he saw your eyes shift away from his nervously, off towards a different part of the street. "no, ned," you said softly. "we're still at the movie."

you were silent for a little as you listened to what ned had to say. 

peter was looking at you in confusion as he waited to hear the conversation between the two of you. he was curious to know what his best friend was telling you. 

"hey, ned, i need to go," you said suddenly, causing peter to furrow his brows in confusion. "i think you just need to talk to peter about all of this instead of trying to relay the information through me to him."

you sighed into the phone a few seconds after you finished your sentence- ned clearly saying something that you were not a fan of. 

"goodbye, ned," you said as you hung up the phone and leaned against your boyfriend. 

"pete, you need to talk to him tomorrow about this or something. he's trying to relay what he wants to say to you through me but it's not something you need to hear through me. it's something that he needs to tell you face to face."

peter nodded, smiling down at a worried you as he gently moved some hair away from your face.

"promise me," you said softly. peter nodded.

"i promise."