PROUD BEST FRIEND

Ned stared over at you sitting alone in a chair near the corner of the room, a drink in hand as you aimlessly scrolled through your phone. He nudged Peter beside him.

"What?" He asked his best friend. Ned nodded towards you, taking a sip of the drink before setting it back down on the table next to you.

"That's the girl Flash always talks about in chemistry class." He responded, giggling a little bit. Peter's eyes flickered back over to where you were.

He had to admit- you were pretty. The lights that were glowing around the room illuminated your features softly while your hair cascaded down your back, a few pieces falling in front of your face.

"So?" Ned asked him. "You going to talk to her?"

Peter moved his eyes reluctantly away from you. "Why not you?" He asked nervously, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks as he responded.

Ned laughed. "Peter, I know you better than anyone at this party. You like her-"

"I don't even know her."

"Fine, you like the thought of her. You like her looks, better?" He asked, earning a small nod from Peter. "So, I would talk to her myself but clearly, you want to. So, I'll let you."

He nudged Peter forwards. He hesitantly began to walk over to you- looking back at his best friend smiling and giving him two thumbs up.

He made it over to where you were sitting and cleared his throat, causing your eyes to move away from the dimly lit phone screen.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked softly. His anxiety was spiking being around someone like you.

A smile lit up your lips, causing his nerves to lower. It was sweet and made him feel warm and fuzzy inside. It was somewhat unexplainable to certain people.

"No, it's not. Are you bored too?" You asked as he took a seat, trying to ease his nerves. Spiderman would've done this so smoothly he thought.

"Uh, yeah, parties aren't really my scene."

You laughed softly. Peter couldn't help but stare. You were just so pretty.

"Same here. The only reason I came was because of Liz- but she left me to go talk to people and I'm more of an introvert."

Peter smiled. "I'm an introvert too, wouldn't you believe it."

You smiled, sliding your phone into your back pocket- now fully engaged in the conversation.

"Don't we have chemistry together?" You asked him, staring more intently at his features. His cheeks were most likely pink from all the blush.

"Uh, yeah, I think we do. Flash talks about you a lot." He spilled, swallowing thickly afterward and smiling towards you.

You sighed. "I know, I hear him. Sometimes I wish he would just shut up and leave me alone. I won't ever go out with him so, why does he keep trying?"

"He's persistent with pretty girls." Peter said, blushing heavily after realizing what he just said.

You laughed softly, your eyes meeting his. "You really think I'm pretty?"

Peter nodded immediately. "Yeah, I wasn't going to say it considering we've never talked before but you are."

You smiled at him, your eyes finding his. "I'm glad I'm being told this by someone like you rather than Flash. At least I know you're honest."

Peter nodded.

"You know, you're cute. Why haven't we gone out before? You're super sweet and I don't know, I just think we should go out sometime." You told him, flashing a smile.

Peter froze up. You had just asked him out— not Flash. Him.

"I'd love to go out with you."

You smiled at him, handing him your number to put in his phone. "I'll text you whenever I'm free and we can go out someplace." You told him.

Peter was a blushing mess but he was happy. "Sounds great." He smiled.

You looked up at him, sharing the same smile and pressing a kiss to his cheek before leaving the party.

Ned walked over to see Peter in a daze.

"She asked me and not Flash."

Ned smiled, patting his best friend on his back.

"I'm a proud best friend."

-
treat people with kindness.

-katherine