PLOT TWIST

The time was different here- it was shifted into a demented reality that wasn't real but your mind created it to be real. It seemed like everything was broken or hurt and perhaps: both.

As you walked along, you could see your friends and all the hurt they had gone through that they told you about. You could see your dad's hurt: the stuff he told you at night that had occurred on missions with the team.

You could see Peter. So many lanes of hurt he had gone through with his Uncle Ben, his Aunt having to take him in, being bullied by someone who tried to make their appearance more powerful than it was, and so many more little things that added up to the big picture of his hurt and where it was rooted.

Your eyes scanned over the memories that were of his uncle that he described to you in vivid detail, making your brain play the lines over and over again as if it were unable to press pause on the words.

It's like your brain was telling you to be hurt.

Peter had gone through a lot and most of it, you were with him for. Now being his girlfriend, you were closer to him than before which meant he opened up more.

Your eyes watched as a memory played of Flash bullying Peter in the hallway. Yelling insults that were nasty and rude, some insulting your "poor choices" in choosing Peter over Flash or any other guy.

You woke up in a panic, the darkness encasing your eyes as it was only one in the morning. You had school in a few hours but you felt sick to your stomach.

Reaching towards the darkened nightstand, you found your phone. Turning it on, you searched for Peter's contact and before finding it, took a deep breath. You didn't want him to come over too worried.

Mainly, you were concerned he would tell your dad and you couldn't have that happen.

Your dad worried about you twenty four seven and if he knew of the constant nightmares you had from dating Peter, he wouldn't let you see him anymore.

Tapping on the message button, you began to type out a paragraph to send to Peter.

peter. please do not pass this on to anyone; keep it between us. if my father knows, we won't be able to see each other anymore and i can't have you taken away from me within a snap of someone's fingers. but truth is, i've been having horrid nightmares. they involve what you tell me. about your uncle, your bullying, your horrific and terrible experiences that change a person. they've always been the subject of my own personal nightmares. if there is anything you can do to help, it's to not only continue to tell me these things to grow me as a person and to keep us close, but it's to keep this between us and just let me talk to you about it. only you understand because it's your memories and experiences that you've had. i cannot say when these started but they did and have been more frequent. i love you. xxx, _____.

You sent the message, setting your phone back down on the nightstand, screen facing up so you could see if he texted you back.

For some reason, these images came to you during these nightmares that caused it to grow graphic and it scared you multiple times to the point of waking up in tears. To grow as a person, you'd have to let Peter tell you these things. Besides, it helped him and that's why you let him talk about it.

Because you cared about him so much you'd let him give you horrific nightmares and hurt that you'd see because you wanted him to let it out. Let out whatever he needed to.

Your phone buzzed. Anxiously, you picked it up and began to read the long paragraph message Peter had replied with.

______, why haven't you told me about any of this? i could've been doing more than i have been now— which is to stop telling you my experiences. i don't want you taking on my problems- which is exactly what's happening here. can you meet? peter.

You quickly responded.

yes. xxx ______.

-
You sat in the coffee shop with a fresh brewed Chai Tea in front of you. Your hands were running up and down the cup before shifting to moving your ring around your finger.

Peter had given you the ring as an "early engagement" ring. He called it that because he truly, in his heart, believed one day he would buy you an actual engagement ring. He told you it would be the most beautiful thing you'd ever see and get to wear.

The door opened.

Peter.

He sat down across from you, not meeting your eyes immediately.

"So."

Your eyes stayed locked on his.

"These nightmares. What exactly are they?"

"They're more like dream sequences rather than a specific idea. More like, they occur and then before I can account for what just happened— it gets progressively worse."

Peter nodded, sighing.

"What is it?"

He ran a hand messily through his hair. "I don't want to keep telling you these things if this is the outcome."

"Peter, I told you that to keep growing me as a person— tell me these things."

He shook his head. "It's not just that."

You, in turn, cocked your head in confusion.

"I don't want to keep hurting you."

"Peter Parker, if you dare break up with me right now, I swear—"

Before you expected it, it had happened.

"_____, you're not only one of the best people I've met- but the strongest. And I know, it's only high school and my Aunt might be confused and your dad may kill me but we're almost high school graduates. Less than a semester left. I want to start off my life the correct way and that way is with you. You're the beauty and light of my life, you bring me happiness, you give me joy, you give me something I never thought I could have back again after all my bad experiences. A smile. So, with that being said, will you make me the happiest guy in the world and marry me?"

You were in complete and utter shock. Your eyes seemed to focus on the ring in front of him rather than him. For some reason, it felt weird to be engaging in marriage so soon but he was right.

College was less than a semester away and both of you were going to the same college.

You nodded.

"Yes. Yes, I will marry you."

Peter smiled brightly, placing the ring on your finger as he removed the other one off, sliding it into his coat pocket.

"We're engaged."

You smiled up at him. "All because of the nightmares, you got engaged to me?"

He shook his head, grabbing your hands in his as he pressed his forehead to yours. You two began to sway to the sound of the music in the coffee shop.

"No, I got engaged to you because you said you could handle the stress. You also told me that you loved me a while back and that's what made me think. Aunt May doesn't know and I'm sure your dad doesn't but your mom and Ned does."

You smiled brightly at him. "I love you."

"I love you the most. Soon, we'll be married."

"Can't believe I'm marrying a superhero. This is every fangirl's dream, Mr. Spiderman." You told him softly, laughing at the end of it.

Peter pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead. "Luckily, you're mine to keep and I don't have to worry about sharing you with the world like I do with my alter ego side."

You let your head rest on his chest as the two of you just swayed.

You were soon to be married to the love of your life.

-
guyyyyyyyys!!!!!

JOSH DUN & DEBBY RYAN ARE ENGAGED AHHHH. that's what got me inspired to write this :))

treat people with kindness.

-katherine