❝Another Worthless Year Gone❞

❦Broken❦

❦Broken❦

Chapter 30

HIS

eyes stare into mine, only this time I can't get lost in them. The shock that is going through my body is overpowering and strong.

For a moment I wondered if I had read it wrong, but taken a closer look at the letter in the bright light from the fireworks I realize that I didn't.

A lump grows in my throat and for a small amount of time I can't breathe. One by one tears stream down my face.

The look of happiness disappears from his face and has been replaced with worry and sadness. Water forms in his eyes as he is on the verge of joining me in crying.

This is surprising and shocking, no one has ever asked me to be their...girlfriend before and I always thought that no one would ever do that. That I'm not worthy of anyone.

I don't deserve this, after everything I've done, this is the last thing I deserve. Besides I have no idea what girlfriends do. Not do I pay attention to all the kids in the town, I have better things to do. Like getting beaten up by them.

If I say no he will be heartbroken and that's something I would want to avoid at all cost. On the other hand if I say yes then he will become heartbroken from my horribleness of being a girlfriend.

This has to be a trick. This isn't real. It can't be real. I'm far too worthless for anything like this. He doesn't want me, not really.

Having a choice like this is the worst I have been put it in my entire life and that is saying something.

"My love, what is wrong? Is it too much? Too little? I can do better"

Damien gently touches my cheeks with his hands, caressing them. His fingers under my chin and at the back of my head.

With his thumbs he wipes away the tears that fall down my face. Still crying I look down to the rose filled ground.

Looking him in the eyes and seeing the disappointment in them will only hurt me more than this is already.

How can I tell him that I can't be his girlfriend. Not because I don't know anything about it, but also for the fact that he deserves better.

And, I can't forget that he already has a fiancé. A fiancé that he tortured and could be dead by now, however if she is indeed alive then this isn't fair to her.

I might hate her and she might hate me, but she is still a human being and hurting her like this is wrong on so many levels.

Hurting any of them isn't what I am seeking in my stay here. All of them have been so kind to me, except for being locked up.

Aside from that they have only shown me kindness and in my life that is as rare as a lighting hitting a person standing in a city full of sky scrapers.

"The day that I met you, I knew you were special. The pull I felt for you is real, the sparks that go through our bodies when we touch is real 'cause we are meant to be together"

With his right thumb he goes under my chin and slowly lifts my head up to look at him. My blue eyes meet his forest green eyes.

I can see right into his soul and I can see that he is hurting 'cause of me and what I have done. He is wrong, we aren't meant to be together, not after all the times that I've hurt him.

"I...I.... ca....aa...n't... bb.. be.... ww...wha...t... yo...you.... w..wan....tt"

I can almost see his heart shatter in two in his eyes as those words choke out of my mouth. His tears fall down his face and I back away from him.

I can't take this anymore. Seeing him like this is worse than anything that could be done for me. I care for him and seeing him hurt is wrong.

If he stays with me, he will only get hurt. There is only one possible outcome of a relationship between us, we both get hurt and that should be avoided. That's what I try to do here, get away from all then ache and the pain that haunts my life.

In the distance I can hear people count down. From ten and all the way down to one. Once they get to one they cheer and that's all I can hear from them, just laughter and cheer.

The new year has come and now it's time for me to leave. While Damien looks down at the ground in pain and heartbreak I slip past him and walk inside.

As the tears continue to run down my cheeks and leave a trail while I walk the hallways, trying to figure out my way to the hospital room I'm going to stay in.

I don't know where else I could go, besides I need to be away from Damien for a little while. Seeing him this broken breaks my already broken heart in even more broken pieces and I can't take that.

"KATIA!"

Stopping right in my tracks I turn around when he calls my name, it echoes through the hallways. His running footsteps are loud.

He comes into view, his eyes red and fresh tears steaming down his cheeks. Seeing him like this hurts me more than it hurts him.

He walks over to me, and stops when his body is pressed against mine. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

Before I could react to anything he wraps his arms around my waist and leans down. Before I knew it his lips come in contact with mine.

❦❦❦❦