thirty-six ; you never felt like home

Start from the beginning

"Wow what an amazing comeback, dad. Honestly, I'm so stuck on what to say next because it was so good," she replied sarcastically, glaring at him. Rebekah was laughing behind her hand, trying to be quiet. Melody saw and smiled victoriously at her. Even at the most random times, the fairytale woman still managed to be witty.

Pan sighed, shaking his head, rubbing his forehead. "You are such a pain. Look, we have to use Klaus to lure Alaric in. It's happening, okay. End of discussion, this argument is over." His eyes held a stern parental stare which made her shoulders deflated, almost as if she were giving up the fight.

Melody nodded, turning her back and going over to Klaus. The other two exchanged a look, surprised that she didn't argue further. She brushed the hair out of his face with a sigh. "Can I have a minute, please? You owe me that." 

Her dad exhaled and then he nodded, leaving the room with Rebekah. She heard the door shut, making her sigh. "I'm so sorry. But I have to do this. And I don't want to lose you...this is the only option we have. Alaric will chase after us until we are dead. We have to kill him before he does."

Pan was listening from outside to make sure she didn't try to run away with Klaus's body. Within another minute, Melody resurfaced, looking over at him from the doorway. She stepped out into the hallway, turning her body to him, her jaw clenched. "There, I'm done. If anything happens to him, I won't forgive you this time."

She started down the hallway, going outside and sitting down at a bench. Her hands went into her hair as she ducked her head down. Footsteps sounded but she didn't look up to see who it was.

Rebekah sat down next to her, frowning at her stance. "I'm sorry about this, Melody, I really am. But they are not hurting my brother. I won't let them. So just please, trust me on this one. Once we have the white oak stake, I will drive it through Alaric's heart and this will all be over. We will bring Nik back and everything will be fine."

"When are things ever that simple, Bekah?" she laughed humorlessly, looking up at her, sitting up straight. "No plan ever works out. Not even in the movies they work because everyone knows that it isn't that easy. Besides, we aren't that lucky."

The blonde nodded, knowing that she had a point. "Wishful thinking," she responded with a quirk of a timid smile.

Melody grabbed her hand, smiling gently. "Wishful thinking isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just that if this plan doesn't work out, we could lose him for good. And even though you two have your moments, he is your brother and no matter what happens, you don't wish to see him die. Even after my brother killed me and then left, I don't wish him pain."

Rebekah looked down at their hands, frowning because she knew that this would mean nothing more than them just holding hands. As friends. But she shook her head. "I don't want him to doe. We ran from Mikael for a better part of a thousand years. We were free of him and my mother until now. Any chance I have to be free, to live my own life, cannot be lost. Niklaus can be upset all he wants. I'm doing this."

She got up suddenly, making the brunette withdraw her hand, watching the way Rebekah blocked her emotions from her facial expression. It made her raise an eyebrow. "Of course, I understand that. I wouldn't ask you to give up your chances to be free from running." The Original just nodded in reply and then began to walk away. Melody stood up, following her with a concerned look. "Rebekah? What's wrong? Did I say something?"

Her friend stopped and sighed, turning to look at her. She shook her head with a sad smile. "No, you didn't. I'm just worried about this, that's all. I'll let you know when Damon calls and when Elijah makes the deal." Rebekah walked away from her.

Melody exhaled, closing her eyes with a shake of her head. Why would she lie to her?

———