Character Profiles: The Heist Part One (51-55)

Doctor Doolittle - The Story of Doctor Dolittle, Being the History of His Peculiar Life at Home and Astonishing Adventures in Foreign Parts (1920) written and illustrated by Hugh Lofting, introduced the 'man who could talk to the animals.'

Unseen in The Heist, the Doctor nevertheless maintains quite a presence in scenes involving his animal companions Chee-Chee, the talking monkey and Jip the dog. Chee-Chee has faith that Doolittle will come to rescue them and nothing will stand in his way. He later comes to doubt this but not the ability of Doolittle.

Traditionally portrayed as a rotund and amiable middle aged man, rumour has it that Doctor Doolittle is one of the class of characters whose life and even appearance have been completely altered since his arrival in the Mythlands - if he shows, expect a more formidable character than the one you're used to!

Chicken Licken -Chicken is not Henny Penny or Chicken Little. While those dopplers may have assumed a larger significance in popular culture, Chicken is the original real mccoy. His story originated in European folk tales as part of the oral storytelling tradition. Early print versions of the story were first published in the first few decades of the 19th century.

The Mythlands Chicken-Licken is male - for decades he suffered from visions and prophetic nightmares about the sky falling or the end times. Seeking professional help, Chicken worked through his problems, sometimes with the help of psychiatrists and occasionally by self institutionalizing or travel to seek out new philosophies and the art of medication, zen and other calming techniques.

Eventually, cured of his nightmares, he built a life and in the present day is Professor of Human Studies at Domain University, specializing in an examination of mortal world humanity and it's history in relation to myth and legend. Highly respected, he has taught many Mythlanders including Jessica Bunny and her friends Goldie Lochs and Lara, a tomb raiding adventurer.

The Professor was distraught when his nightmares and visions began to return recently but when Jessica got in touch about the Magic Mirror's prophesy, Chicken was relieved he wasn't going insane and agreed to help. He aided Jessica, the Hare and their allies in decoding vital information and continued to stay in touch to offer further assistance.

Chicken is a talking animal (and not an anthropomorphic upright) albeit one that wears clothes. He looks like any fluffy yellow chick you might find in the mortal realm, but is often clothed in a miniature tweed jacket and waistcoat and occasionally uses a tiny pair of reading glasses.

Brilliant and devastatingly cute, are three words that best describe him.

His office is regular size so he is often to be found on a small chair on top of his desk and assisted by his graduate student PA Rupert the Bear who fetches books and types for him

The Two of Hearts - Many characters that populate the Mythlands are not primary or named supporting - a lot are background players, but these make up most of the population.

Unlike many - example 'Villager from Hamlin.' The Two of Hearts has a name and identity that he's content with. He has never seen the need to re-invent himself as he is simply 'The Two of Hearts.'

The Two logically first appeared at the same time the Queen of Hearts did, which makes him a background player to events occurring in 'Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland.' published in 1865. The Two is a pompous officious oaf and jobsworth, who takes petty pleasures in small things - he likes to boast of his status and vintage as a Lewis Carroll creation. The reborn Lewis Carroll once met him and has avoided him like the plague ever since.

Originally a proud member of the Queen's Guard, Hearts Pack, at some point in his Mythlands existence, he was either discharged or expelled from the Guard. Or the Hearts disbanded - the latter may be the answer as the Two remembers his time there fondly and without too much bitterness over his new circumstances.