Convention of Cats 8: The Weapon

The Weapon

The Glass Cat padded to the door of the room he had been sequestered in. 'Chesh, your attention if you please?'

The Cheshire Cat looked up from where he was batting around a tennis ball. 'You called oh Lord and Glasster?'

'I did indeed.'

'How goes the tête-à-tête with Loki?'

'Very well. We have hammered out nearly all of the terms. The troll for instance is at our disposal and dispose of him we shall!'

Styrr, who was sitting hunched up between the two super cats, looked up fearfully. 'No hurt Styrr! Styrr good troll, be good for shiny kitty god. Fetch him fish from streams and hit enemies on head with club, yes?'

Bungle looked deep into the pathetically eager to please eyes of the anxious troll. 'I do not need the former, but your club may yet be of good use. Be of good cheer, loyal Styrr, for it may cheer you to know, on my honour that we intend you no harm. The intent is to send you on a long journey where you will do our bidding. Now I bid you to respond in the affirmative, so I might soon bid you farewell.'

'Not hurt Styrr?'

Cosmo poked the troll in the ribs. 'The leader has given you his word. You will tell him that you understand and will obey.'

Styrr was still struggling with understanding but he certainly knew the meaning of Obey. 'Styrr will do bidding of Glass kitty.'

'Excellent, then it only remains to give the remainder of my instructions. Chesh, take the boys and return the troll to the convention. Then Cosmo and Atom, you will go and fetch the ... item back to Function Room F. On your way to storage you will return here with the weapon. Lord Loki needs to see its power for himself.'

'Come along, come along,' hurried the Cheshire Cat as Styrr was dragged to his feet. 'As a rabbit of my realm once said or near enough, we must away and not be late!'

***

Griffin J Cat and several others were in the corner of the room when Cosmo strolled over. 'The leader needs ... ah there he is. Come here. Come here I say!'

'He is shy,' said Griffin. 'And you're scaring him. He's never seen an upright like yourself before tonight!'

'There is nothing to fear, Griffin of the mortal realms. I seek only to bring him to our glorious leader and I am to tell you to have Ginger waiting on our return.'

'Yes,' cut in The Cheshire Cat. 'There will be a spectacle and all shall return to see it. As for you little one, our friend Bungle calls upon you. Go with Cosmo and fear not. There shall be cream,' he added.

Cosmo crouched down while the object of their discussion sprung into his arms. Griffin watched them go, wondering what The Glass Cat could want with such a ... but then his attention changed. The troll Styrr had been left in this corner and Cheshire was indicating that he should stand guard!

***

Loki waited patiently as the minions of The Glass Cat returned. 'Well?' he demanded. 'Where be this weapon?'

Bungle waved a paw at Cosmo who entered, gingerly placed a bundle of fur on the ground and backed away to go about the business of his second task.

'Meowww.'

Loki's hologram form peered forward. 'Is this some kind of joke? Thou spoke of a weapon so mighty that none could resist ... one that wouldst vouchsafe our entry to the fabled Vault of Myth, once our reluctant agent The Hare hath secured the location.'

The Glass Cat smiled. 'My dear Loki, recall if you will our earlier conversation about the mortal internet. Did I not say that this wondrous thing contained all manner of information and information is power.'

'Hardly dost Loki think that this is ... what ... what is this, the tiny beast does?'

'He's licking his paws and mewwing my Lord. Shall I go on?'

'Aye,' replied Loki, his eyes riveted to the tiny creature in front of him.

'Very well. There is great power in this internet ... power that rivals the feats of imagination contained within all our stories. Literature, myth, legend, fairytale, folklore and fable ... oral traditions of the ancient sagas gave way to the printed press and the collective imagination of the mortals gave form to such powerful ideas and stories. Now this power is displayed in new and more widespread forms ... digital, wireless, film and the motion vision. Youtube, Twitter, Facebook and Memes, many many memes. As the mortal globe has gotten smaller and information flows freely, so does the power of community, separate but connected to the net. Cultures smoosh together and it records all, from the classics to the mundane.'

Loki was still staring at the little thing before him. 'What sorcery be this Glass one? I seek to tear mine eyes from the beast, but tis impossible ... see how it curls up into a ball ... those big round eyes ... thou hast ensorcelled me!'

The Glass Cat nodded. 'It will fade my lord Loki, but please note the power of our weapon.'

'The beast ... it has a name?'

'Indeed it does. Loki, Prince of Asgard, meet ... The LolKitten.'

The kitten looked up, it's big shiny eyes catching Loki's square on. For the first time the little fellow spoke.

'Can I haz Cream?'