The Times, They are a Changin'

The Future.

'Tell us about Operation Scarab Grandfather?' said one of the children.

The old man smiled and stroked the fur of the lad's head. 'Very well my boy. Remember though, this was the point at which it all began to change. Twas a precipitous night, that night ... the board meeting was done and the party was in full swing. Normally The Hare would be right in the midst of it, already half inebriated and attempting to charm any naive secretary who would listen to him. That night however, he was on a mission and twas as if the very heavens themselves knew the significance of the eve!'

'Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone...'

The very heavens opened up and thunder and lightning flashed in the sky. Some said afterwards that Zeus or Thor, perhaps both, had subconsciously known that things were amiss. The storm reacted accordingly. Yet others said it was time and space itself that sensed the change and tried to cry out a warning. The more sensible pointed out that the meteorologists office had predicted the weather more than a week earlier!

'If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

The Hare made his move. At exactly the 47 minutes specified, he found himself in the appointed executive washroom where he came face to face with the cunning, sly and devious visage of Renard the Fox.

Renard was reading a book. Why this fact is significant, nobody knows but some say that the Silverberrys had a hand in it and it was all part of the prophesy. 'Winter is coming,' they would say ... each week the Silverberry up at Winterfall would cast the runes and speak of three significant items. Many asked what their meaning was but few knew for sure. Once the Silverberrys were proud knights and warriors, but at that time, in that place, the last incumbent was a seeress. She would roll the cubes and it was up to others to interpret.

So some say the book contained hidden codes and meanings. Others say Renard used it to write down the password of The Tortoise, stolen via hack by The Glass Cat of Oz. They said it must be so, because The Hare had a lousy memory and would otherwise not remember ... but after all this time, who can say for sure!

'Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's namin'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

For the times they are a-changin'.

The Hare approached the darkened offices high up in the MCI corporate building. He was full of grim determination, but who knew what path would spin from his actions. Destiny was decided in those moments. Downstairs, the foolish monkey Chee-Chee prepared to disable all security. The Hare would have seven minutes to get in and do his nefarious work.