Convention of Cats 1: Heart of Glass

This story takes place roughly between THE HEIST chapters 'Babar the Elephant,' and 'Reflections While Flying.' 

The Glass Cat has called a Convention of Cats - he has mischief in mind.

A Mythical Creatures/Mythlands story guest starring The Cheshire Cat and other cats.

Convention of Cats is both a spin-off and a vital part of The Heist and contains story-line elements that feed back into the main narrative.

Heart of Glass

The Glass Cat took a moment, after his interview with Captain Hook had concluded, to watch as the Golden Goose was loaded into an ambulance and driven away.

Then, with a purr of satisfaction, he padded back into the lobby of the Lucky Cactus and on his way to a planned appointment. 

'It must be about that time, for time waits for no man, not even a cat,' he murmured as he approached the front desk.

With a crouch and a leap, The Glass Cat landed on top of the desk in front of The Little Match Girl. 'Messages?' he ordered without preamble, for his time was valuable. He knew that to be a certainty and therefore acted accordingly.

'Hello Bungle,' greeted the girl as she fetched his mobile phone from a cubbyhole. 'My goodness, what a furor. Poor Mr Golden Goose. Is he alright?'

The Glass Cat arched his head in displeasure, pondering whether to take a moment to remind the girl that she should be relaying his messages, not asking questions about silly gooses.

He decided to briefly humour her. 'A traumatic experience to be sure, but surely the goose will recover and consider himself a fortunate fellow indeed, that security reacted with speed, alerted by his cries, to render assistance before the goose was cooked. Now kindly inform me, am I in receipt of a text perchance?'

The Little Match Girl nodded. 'There's one from the Cheshire Cat. He says the poker game is almost at an end.'

The Glass Cat nodded. 'Then I shall require my headset and pouch. Swiftly if you please.'

The girl reached into the cubby hole and retrieved the items requested. She strapped the pouch to the cat's body and slipped his mobile phone in, before clipping the ear piece to his right ear and activated the wireless connection. Now The Glass Cat could voice activate his phone's settings.

The Glass Cat began to turn away without as much as a goodbye but a thought occurred and he turned back. 'By the way, a question before I go away. Answer me true, what became of the troll after security subdued him?'

The Little Match Girl told him what he wanted to know and so, satisfied, The Glass Cat dropped gracefully to the carpeted floor and headed deeper into the vast attrium, past the entrances to the Sunshine and Skylight rooms on either side, up some carpeted stairs and past the corridor to the main casino floor and the Rainbow Room opposite. He continued past the impressive bank of elevators and past the small parade of in-house shops and then he turned a corner and headed up another corridor - the one that led to the Hare's private office suite.

Once there he settled on the carpet and activated his phone to send two texts. The first was this ...

'Am outside.'

The second was this. 'Send group text.'

His phone beeped. 'Text sent to 37 recipients. Subject: Make your way to the appointed place.'