Cair Paravel

Cair Paravel

After leaving the train, The Glass Cat ordered everyone to rendezvous at an inn by the port, where Punchinello was due to meet them. While they waited for the sinister puppet to arrive, Moriarty explained that back before Narnia became part of the Mythlands, Cair Paravel was merely the seat of the High Kings but in the past seven decades a coastal city had sprung up around the castle and this was now the capital of Narnia - a thriving metropolis with a population of almost two million.

'You may have noticed a discrepancy between the antiquated culture and technology of Narnia in general and the high tech security we encountered at Professor Ketterley's compound. Make no mistake that once we enter the castle's environs we will encounter the very best surveillance and communications equipment that the Greater Mythlands has to offer.'

'I don't get it,' interjected The Hare. 'I thought these people were backwards and anti technology?'

'In a very general sense they are Mr Hare, but do not be fooled into thinking that just because Narnian innovation is stalled at Victorian levels and that there is a cultural bias against outside technology - one reinforced by the Church of Aslan I might add - do not be fooled into thinking that the state themselves do not avail themselves of the best imported technology they can procure. Simply put the Narnian government, to wit church and monarchy, are hypocrites of the highest order. They preach their disdain for innovation while privately using all the tools at their disposal to keep the populace in check. Is this not so Professor? Mr Bear?'

Their captives were sitting at the end of the table, each with a supercat standing guard behind them to prevent their escape or attempts to alert anyone, even though they were in a private room. Ketterley said nothing in response to Professor Moriarty's accusation but the Bulgy Bear did comment.

'You are not incorrect Professor. There are certain ... inconsistencies that have troubled me about my faith.'

Bungle looked at him, noting this declaration with interest, but before anyone could speak, Punchinello arrived with startling news.

'Is Geengerbread Man. We get into castle ok, find rooms of Professori buta then guards, she come find us, hey!'

'Spit it out man,' ordered Moriarty.

'They lock up Geenger inna the dungeons!'

Goldie gasped.

However The Glass Cat was unmoved. 'Unfortunate that the shortbread was caught short, but he is not vital to our vital plans. We must move to secure the rings and proceed securely to the next phase of the operation.'

'Ah ... thees plan, she hasa the problem,' shrugged the puppet. He continued as Bungle stared at him with arched eyebrows. 'Before they takea him down, Geenger he hasa the yellow rings anna ... he secure them onna his person. Or rather uppa his person!'

Half the table gave Punchinello a mystified look, but the Golden Goose knew what the Italian assassin was getting at. 'He's stuffed the rings up his arse!'

***

After that, leaving the Gingerbread Man behind was out of the question and so The Glass Cat made his plans accordingly.

Moriarty relayed them. 'We all need to be inside the castle so we can use the rings together. This will mean one team needs to retrieve the Gingerbread Man from the dungeons while the rest of us head to the Professor's quarters and locate the green rings. Fortunately it is a reasonably isolated tower and once inside with Ketterley we can avoid the checkpoints and fetch the rescue team from below.'

'This will be difficult I think,' mused Renard.

'Not necessarily.'

Everyone turned in surprise.

'You're prepared to help?' questioned The Glass Cat, archly.

'Yes. But I'll want something in return.'

'Speak. I would know your reason and your request.'

The Bulgy Bear cleared his throat and spoke the words that he had denied for so long. 'I'm gay ... and I want to be free to be with the one I love. If I help you, take me with you.'

Moriarty steepled his fingers while Bungle and The Cheshire Cat exchanged smiles. Then the Glass Cat turned. 'I think we can accommodate your wish Mr Bear.'

Others in the room weren't quite so pleased at what they had heard in the last twenty minutes. Jessica and The Hare also exchanged a look while the Goose contemplated how they could ensure that The Gingerbread Man remained unrescued. Goldie's thoughts were inscrutable. Griffin, meanwhile had slunk off, his mission to locate the basket that had remained close to The Glass Cat ... he needed to see 'The Weapon.'

***

A few miles away within the dungeon level of Cair Paravel, the black cat with white markings or as some knew him, SC, was padding down a corridor. Turning a corner, he snuck past a napping guard and found himself in a dank subterranean alcove - down some steps and along. Now he was passing what appeared to be a regularly spaced set of gratings. They were in fact prison cells of ingenious design - rather than traditional cells, they were small rectangle pits where the prisoner was lowered down, some ten feet, so all they could see above were the bars or gratings and guards could easily look down upon them.

Peering down into the third one along, SC saw The Gingerbread Man asleep. Nodding, he continued on, with his ears pricked, listening for the sounds of music. Nothing ... he knew his innate sense of timing wasn't off so where was the ... aha! For a brief moment he heard the piping of a flute and found the cell he was looking for.

The eyes of a man whose suit was covered in dust and starting to look shabby, looked up at him, one hand holding the flute by his side. 'SC! my friend! You came back!'

The cat looked down at him. 'Of course. Keep your spirits up George. I've made arrangements for your liberty.'

'When?'

'Soon. Very soon. In the meantime ...' SC shook the small package he was carrying from his back and with quick deft movements removed some string and lowered a brown package containing a large subway sandwich and a bottle of water.

'I must go,' he said, when George had received the food. 'It will be tomorrow. Be ready.'

Then with a twinge of regret, SC made his way out of the dungeon.