Part Two: The Mission

Future Hare stubbornly crossed his arms as Cottontail and Jessica got in his face and tried to reason with him.

'Nope. Not doing it. I won't leave a man behind!'

'Christ, you're as stubborn as your younger self!' Jessica was past exasperation.

'Yeah, you're as stubborn as me, me!' chimed in the Hare. 'Wait! What?'

'Let us handle this, ok Young Hare.' Cottontail told him.

Hare didn't like being called that but he had said his piece, so he wandered back to join the others on the bank.

'Jessica and other Hare are right H, the mission comes first. This whole mess can be reset and everyone who died will be back.'

'Please Future Hare,' Jessica said desperately. 'Those mercenaries could show up any time. We have to move and get to Toad's camp.'

'Which isn't far away,' Cottontail added, 'We're all sitting ducks here, no offense ...'

The Golden Goose who was sitting nearby, raised a wing. 'None taken.'

'We can leave someone here and if Oswald shows up, they can catch the rest of us up.'

Future Hare considered Jessica's words and then frowned. 'Wait! What? Since when did we start calling me Future Hare?'

'HARE!!' Now both Jessica and Cottontail had their hands on their hips and were giving him 'the look.'

Future Hare began to weaken under their fierce gazes and eventually he reluctantly saw their logic. 'Alright, Jessica and my other self's party need to be protected the most. I suggest Pegasus and Icaurus take the animals, Jessica and the Gingerbread Man ahead by air. The rest of us will form up round young Hare, George and Goldie and follow the fish upstream. One man to stay behind to wait for Oswald.'

Wiley stepped forward immediately.

Future Hare shook his head. 'Not you soldier. It could come to a fight so I'll do it myself.'

'No you won't!' Cottontail told him in no uncertain terms.

'Honey, I'm responsible for all my men, so ...'

'You lop eared idiot. You're the only one who knows how to get in touch with this mysterious friend that's going to transport over a dozen of us. There's only one choice that makes sense ... '

Frank stomped over.

Future Hare nodded glumly and reached into his pack. 'This belonged to an old buddy of mine ... Boromir. If anyone but Oswald comes, you blow this horn and ... and we'll know not to wait.'

Fierce Bad Rabbit stepped over and took the horn. 'I'm staying with him boss. Frank's not exactly ... communicative. He knows how to fight but he'll need me to look out for him.'

Future Hare nodded. 'I won't say goodbye Fierce. All three of you will see us again and soon.'

But in his heart FH already heard the horn blowing and suspected he was sacrificing two more friends ... for the good of the mission.

*

As everyone began to move out, Bambi followed The Hare closely. 'Hare! What is this mission? Why are there two of you and why are the Rabbitz talking about protecting some of you with their lives?'

Hare was looking for something in his own pack, but stopped to glance back. 'We'll talk later Bambi, when we're safely away from here.'

Bambi frowned. 'Damn straight we will.' he muttered.