Buzz

Griffin slipped back before dawn, having easily given the old man the slip. He stealthily entered the hut and saw Styrr, Steekle and the other black dwarfs fast asleep. Ginger was lying with his head on his paws by the fire. None of the newcomers were present.

That figured. Griffin had seen what those two amazing size changing cubes could do. The Cheshire Cat had set them up side by side a few hundred yards away and activated the magic. This time the cubes had grown to the size of houses and then changed to an obsidian colour.

Griffin had taken a quick peek inside and was amazed to see they now possessed rooms with furniture and even an oak paneled library. The Glass Cat had taken all his people inside with the exception of the second troll who slumbered at the door of the right cube.

The mortal world cat was too tired to investigate further today so he re-entered the hut and joined Ginger at the fire, falling asleep in seconds.

***

Inside the cubes, not everyone was asleep. On the second floor, a naked and sweat covered Goldie Lochs rolled backwards and let out a huge sigh. 'I guess its true what they say about little men making up for it in other ways.' She reached under the pillow for a pack of cigarettes and tapped one out. 'Got a light?'

The Gingerbread Man flipped his bic open. 'Darlin, I'll always have what you need. Just remember to keep some of that sugar in reserve, honey. You're going to need to be at your sexy best.'

Goldie leaned closer so he could light her up. 'What's that supposed to mean Ginge? Wanna go another round?'

The Gingerbread Man smirked at her with his icing smile. 'I'm gonna go take a piss, then give me ten and I'll take you up on that.' He leapt naked out of bed, leaving Goldie facing a mottled hard ginger posterior.

'Hey, you didn't explain what you just said.'

He turned around, grinning. 'You're going to be a honeytrap, sweetness. Heard the Prof and Glass Cat talking about the mark. Seems he has a thing for you.'

Goldie affected a bored wave of her cigarette. 'Babe, half the men in all the goddamn fantasy lands have a thing for me and can you blame em? Look at this.' She lifted the covers and then appraised her three foot tall lover. 'Looks like like you don't need those ten minutes after all.'

The Gingerbread Man flung himself back on the bed and grabbed her breasts.

'Hey!' she mock protested. 'I thought you had to take a slash?'

'Yeah, well I'll do that later too,' he replied with a grin.

***

In the room next door, Jessica listened to the sounds her friend was making with a look of mortification. Unlike Goldie, she was wearing a red nightgown to bed and was there alone ... although it had taken 40 minutes of denying The Hare's wheedling to convince him to sleep on the floor.

'Look H,' she had said angrily. 'We have to share a room to keep up the illusion, but I'm not ready to forgive you enough to let you back in bed with me just yet.'

'But Jessica!' he had moaned. 'You know I get back problems if I don't sleep on a soft mattress.'

'Fine, you take the bed and I'll go on the floor.' He had refused to allow her of course, telling her in an affronted and indignant tone that he was a gentleman and he'd never let a lady sleep on the floor. Then he said they were both adults and that he could be trusted.

'Chrissake Hare. It's after 3am,' she had yelled. 'We've been up drinking half the night and I am not letting a horny rabbit in my bed. You can survive a few hours on the floor.'

Ironically he had fallen asleep pretty quickly, but Jessica was kept awake by the moans and groans coming through the wall. She picked up her mobile and checked the time again for the 73rd time, willing 7am to roll around so she could get up.

The next thing she knew she was being woken up by the alarm on her phone.

BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ