The Bulgy Bear turns Traitor

Bulgy stopped and faced the others.

'Before I do this ... before I go against my country and everything I've formerly believed in, there's something that I have to do first!'

The Hare stared at the Narnian, thinking that any delay might benefit their secret plan to thwart the retrieval of the yellow rings. Maybe they could do so without getting themselves captured and ...

'No!' It was Goldie who had forcefully make this declaration. 'No delays. I'm not letting Ginge rot for a moment longer than I have to.'

The Bulgy Bear crossed his arms, equally stubbornly. 'We don't rescue your boyfriend before I've seen mine! I need to tell Boo what's happening and THAT is non negotiable!'

The Hare and Jessica exchanged a worried look as Goldie also crossed her arms, prepared to stand her ground. They had thought Jessica's old friend was just having a bit of fun with the sociopathic shortbread, but now it seemed that her feelings ran deeper! This could seriously jeopardize their ... well, not exactly plan, but their unformed hope that something would come up that would prevent the Glass Cat's success.

Jessica spoke up. 'Guys, we're on a schedule here, but there's some leeway. Bulgy, your cooperation depends on us taking your boyfriend with us right?'

'It does.'

'Goldie, sweetie,' she continued, 'The whole thing falls apart if Bulgy doesn't get us to those dungeons. I say we have time to fetch this Boo and then I promise we'll head straight to the dungeons. Back me up on this H?'

The Hare nodded. 'Yeah, Jess is right. We still need to wait until Griffin gets back with the exact location of where they're keeping The Gingerbread Man. After all Bulgy knows the general area but like he says, its like a labyrinth down there and we'll need to go straight for GM if we've any chance of succeeding.'

Goldie looked like she was going to object, but then she gave a sullen nod of agreement. It was then decided she would wait for Griffin while Hare and Jessica accompanied The Bulgy Bear.

'This way,' Bulgy told them. 'The delegates gallery is in the upper level near the throne room. During an event like this, they'll all be there and luckily Boo has an assigned seat!'

***

Meanwhile Griffin was padding along, trying to locate the Gingerbread Man. He was worried he had taken a wrong turn and was thinking about retracing his steps, when suddenly a strange black cat with white markings, holding a fish in his jaws, stepped out in front of him.

Griffin stood still, not knowing what to do! Was this a fellow talking cat or one of the dumb creatures he'd heard about. And if the former, was it another agent of Bungle's!!

He decided to brazen it out and resorted to the language of all cats, trusting that what was good for Earth cats might also be the same for Narnian cats.

The newcomer didn't instantly react, but after Griffin persisted, he placed the fish on the ground and used his claw to slice it in half. Having done so the black and white cat bit into his own half and pushed the other half towards the grey tabby, who hesitantly sniffed at it. Surprisingly it appeared to have been cooked, though it was now cold again.

Then the strange cat spoke. 'Won't you try some Griffin? It's a rather good perch, grilled and marinated in oil and lemons with a pinch of garlic chilli.'

Griffin stared ahead in shock at being addressed by name!

SC smiled at him. 'There's no need to be afraid Griffin J Cat of the mortal realms. My name is SC and I am a friend. Please, you must be hungry, join me in a repast and then if you'll permit me, there is much knowledge that I must impart if we are to stop Loki and his allies from causing the destruction of The Mythlands!'

*

'What can you see?'

Jessica impatiently waved The Hare back. She had already told him to keep out of sight as a tall skinny rabbit man wearing a Metallica t-shirt was more likely to stand out than a human woman. 'They're doing some sort of diplomatic presentations in front of the throne. I can see the High Kings and Queens, all four of them.'

She stepped back into the corridor, watching the stairs that Bulgy had just taken towards the upper galleries. 'This might be our chance H. We'd be taking a gamble, but all it would take is to walk in there and tell the Narnians there's a conspiracy and that Professor Ketterley is being held hostage in his chambers.'

The Hare agonized. He was almost tempted to agree but without Goosey with them, he couldn't take the chance. If The Glass Cat suspected they had tipped off the Narnians, he might order one of the supercats to snap The Golden Goose's neck out of spite when the guards came to arrest them. Besides there was no guarantee that the overly suspicious and oppressive Narnians wouldn't also fling him and Jess in jail too!

'Oh jeez!'

The Hare snapped to attention. 'Jess? What is it?'

Jessica had gone pale. 'Scrap that plan. Look who's here.'

The Hare cautiously peeped his head around the heavy curtains that led into the throne room. He saw the line for the presentations and right near the front, behind an Olympian who was presenting a Nightingale in a gilded cage to King Peter, were two of the Zodiacs standing next to Big Bruin, The Owl and Mr Toad.'

Jessica whispered in his ear. 'Look, see that shape flitting around Bruin's head. Ariel's here as well! They must be tracking us!'

Just then Bulgy returned, accompanied by a small bear.

The Hare shook his head sadly. 'Come on, lets get back to Goldie.'

*

By the throne, the Nightingale began to sing and upstairs in Ketterley's chambers the mobile device of one of the occupants discreetly beeped, alerting its owner to the sonic signal sent by another of Loki's agents. This true and loyal servant of the Trickster suppressed a little smile. Now there would be two of them to keep an eye on The Glass Cat and make sure he wasn't planning to deviate from Loki's agenda in favour of his own.

After all, Loki wasn't stupid and that was why he had his agent in place and that was why The Nightingale had been sent to Cair Paravel on a pretext.