The Hare and The Bear

Celesteville. The Royal Palace.

Mr Toad looked around the reception room. 'I'll tell you something Hare old boy, Babar's palace never fails to impress. These Elephants do things in grand style and ... but, I say ... you've never been have you?'

'Not to the palace,' The Hare replied in a distracted manner. His mind was on other things. 'I was once here in Celesteville with Golden Goose and Jack.'

'Beanstalk, giant killer Jack? And how is dear old Goosey? Recovered from his frightful ordeal, I hope.'

'Mmmm, yes.'

'Mr Hare. Can I have a moment? There's some Casino memos you need to see urgently.'

Toad looked up as Jessica came over, clutching a clipboard. 'Afternoon m'dear. Thought you were a stewardess, not a PA.'

'Jessica was helping out due to a shortage, but she assists me in many ways,' said The Hare, rather more testily than he had intended.

'I bet she does!' replied Toad with a wink. 'Well don't mind me m'boy. We've a while before we're called through. I shall help myself to some of these delicious horderves and sample some of our host's splendid wine.'

The Hare took Jessica's arm and led her away. 'I don't like this. We're taking too many chances. Even Toad isn't entirely stupid.'

Jessica gently shook his hand away. 'I need to be on hand and pretending to be your PA is the best way to do that. If people want to assume that you've given your old girlfriend a job and that we're sleeping together, let them. Our best defense is for everyone to assume The Hare is being The Hare and to underestimate you!'

'Maybe we should give it a touch of authenticity,' responded The Hare, as he tried to nibble at Jessica's neck.

She pushed him away. 'Not now.'

'Meaning ... sometime?'

'No! Maybe ... I don't know. Let's just concentrate on the job in hand.'

'I'm upset. I need to take my mind off things.' The Hare put his hand on her waist.

'You'll remove that paw buster, unless you want another punch in the snout!' As he hastily withdrew the offending hand, Jessica looked into his eyes and softened. 'I know it's upsetting but they won't harm him. They obviously need him.'

The Hare sat down on a chair in the remote corner of the huge reception hall. 'I wish Chicken hadn't have deciphered that list ... if those bastards hurt Goosey, I'll ...'

'I know hon, I know. Look, at least we now know the names of this team you're supposed to lead. That knowledge enabled us to get to Goldie before they did and she'll definitely be an asset.'

'We still don't know who or what this weapon is though.'

'I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Think about the positives though. Almost a quarter of that team - you, Goldie and The Goose, you'll all be in a position to stop Loki's plan.'

The Hare wasn't taking much comfort from that thought. 'Yes, but look at the other names. Apart from this ... weapon and Renard, there's The Gingerbread Man and Punchinnelo, total insane thugs, not to mention those cats and ... Oh God, this is my fault. I've got poor old Goosey tangled up in the middle of this, when I promised him years ago I'd always protect him!'

'Hold on a sec. Something about those cats ... Aren't they associates of ...'

Suddenly The Hare snapped his fingers. 'Wait! I just thought of something ... back in the old days we had Jack to protect us and Jack can get here really quick if he still has access to magic teleporting beans!'

Jessica delved into her bag and pulled out a compact, which she opened. 'Mirror, we need you to locate an asset.'

The Magic Mirror's small image nodded. 'It shall be as you wish Miss Bunny. I presume you speak of Jack, for he too has appeared in my visions. We must hope that events diverge with the assistance of the ones we have recruited and will recruit ... for I fear that dark events are playing themselves out and we still remain on track for ... the end.'

***

Domain City outskirts, an industrial park.

Big Bruin removed his shoes and put on his glasses. He proceeded to walk around the body, sniffing and snuffling at the ground. Around and around he walked, leaving several overlaying sets of bear prints.

Ariel was flitting around his head, almost incandescent with rage. 'Gods a' mercy Master Bruin, this act cannot go unchallenged! Tis murder, pure and simple.'

Bruin raised his head and fixed her with his dark, soulful eyes. 'It's a message Ariel. Zodiac could have buried this body so deep we'd never find it, but Cancer wanted us to know that we're helpless and that the Zodiac have complete carte blanche.'

'This vexes me Sirrah. Surely our Lord and Master, The Tortoise would never sanction such foul deeds.'

'Not directly, but the fact that they've done this indicates they're not concerned about his reaction and THAT indicates that our theory was correct. Whatever was stolen from his computer, is potentially world shattering.'

'Aye, but this ... tis ... not a needful thing they have done, pon my faith.'

Bruin peered closer at the body. 'My deduction is that they didn't intend to kill him. If a Zodiac were here, I'm sure they'd use language such as 'The prisoner expired under vigorous interrogation.' I'd also put a week's pay down, that they probably got what they wanted and that means ...'

Ariel landed on his brown furred shoulder. 'Tis not just a message but a ... distraction?'

Bruin stopped pacing. 'While we're out here in the burbs following that anonymous tip, SOMETHING is going down back in the city.'

Grabbing his shoes, Big Bruin loped back to their car and logged in to his onboard computer.

'Ariel, there's a message being sent out over the secure system. Zodiac has a suspect ... The Glass Cat.'

The fey landed on the bonnet. 'By the Rood! Such a development hath but one response. Correct me Master if mine vernacular be incorrect ... Oh Shit!'

Bruin removed his glasses and put them away in their case. 'It's worse than that. In our absence Zodiac has issued a citywide Code One Zero and got the Tortoise to sign off on it.'

'Zounds ... not just the forces of MCI but all becks, magistrates, roaring boys and militia cross the city entire, will must needs respond. Surely though tis too much for one individual, no matter how sly?'

'You don't understand partner. A Code One Zero refers to all known associates and the document has been very general. It's the cats Ariel ... they're rounding up every cat in the city!'

Ariel turned pale. 'Tis bound to cause a riot. We must return to the Castle in much haste and attempt to control this insanity. But hold ... what of yonder unfortunate?'

Bruin looked over at the body. 'We'll call it in, but for now we need to go and talk to the boss.'

The pair got into their car and drove off.

Behind them, the corpse of Jip the dog, remained where it had been dumped.