The Compact

One Year ago, as the mortals mark time.

Olympus.

Zeus Panhellenios, All-Father of the Olympian Pantheon raged against his errant child!

Who had incurred his legendary wrath on this occasion? Was it headstrong Ares, God of War, whose machinations, oft in league with his uncle Pluto, had many times enraged the throne? Nay - then twas surely Dionysus, whose drunken pranks had offended noble Zeus! Surely not his favourite son, mighty Hercules!? Mayhaps ... for often the prince of power had disobeyed the will of Zeus, though he was always forgiven.

I say thee Nay. Twas not a son of Great Zeus who had displeased him this day, but a daughter ...

Lightning crackled around the All-Father, as the redbeard sought to contain his legendary anger. In his hand he held a bolt of lightning, ready to hurl.

'Daughter! Thou shalt feel my royal wrath ... long overdue are ye, for a lesson. I shall countenance thy ways no longer.'

Kneeling before the throne in supplication, Eris, goddess of chaos and discord, flung aside her hands. 'Father Zeus, I am guilty as you say, but twas mere japery and no harm intended. Forgive me Great One and allow me to make restitution to she who I have wronged.'

Zeus checked his anger. 'Aye, tis only right. Let thy sister step forth. Harmonia, my child, what say you?'

A serenely beautiful goddess, dressed all in white, whose mane of red gold hair reached to her hips, made her presence known. 'Father, I would hear what Eris has to say, and how she intends to make restitution for poisoning my beloved poodle.'

Zeus nodded. 'State thy case errant one.'

Eris rose and bowed. 'Oh my Father. Oh my sister. Assembled gods of Olympus. Know ye that Eris meant no harm. In recent years, many delights have come to us from the modern mortal realm. Wishing to give the white fluffed beast, of whom I was most fond, a treat, I fed Snowy some chocolate. Woe that our greatest scholars and physicks knew not that the delicious confection was poison to dogs. I stand here ashamed and heartbroken.'

'How wilt thou make amends?' demanded Zeus.

'If it pleases your omnipotent presence, I have a pet even more befitting a goddess. Procured from the legendary lands of the east by my friend and our esteemed guest from the realm of our Norse friends, I present to thee, my sister, a beautiful bird of legend ... the Nightingale.'

Two Asgardian warriors stepped forward, holding a golden cage between them. Inside was a beautiful bird that looked at them with curious eyes.

Zeus was somewhat placated, seeing the joyful expression on Harmonia's face, for she had fallen in love with the Nightingale at first sight.

The Lord of Olympus called out. 'How came ye by this bird, Lord Loki?'

The green eyed trickster stepped forward and bowed. 'Greetings magnificence. From my father, thy friend and fellow Godhead, Odin, do I extend the best wishes of thy allies in Asgard. To answer thy question, Sire, of late I have, of mine own volition taken to travelling the celestial realms. Though not an official ambassador of Asgard, tis my pleasure to make new acquaintance and reaffirm old ties. But to answer thee Sire, I have sojourned of late within the realm of Ta-Lo, the 36th Heaven, where I was made most welcome by The Jade Emperor, who, on hearing that my next intended destination was Olympus, offered his profound respect and greetings to his brother, Zeus.'

The Lord of Olympus nodded. 'Thou reminds me good Loki, I must dispatch fleet Hermes to the East to keep up ties. But go on, what of the bird?'

Loki inclined to a slight bow. 'The story goes thus. Long ago in mortal China, an Emperor possessed the Nightingale, but over time he lost interest, when gifted with a bejewelled mechanical bird. Eventually however the imitation bird breaks down and years flow, until the Emperor is on his death bed. The Nightingale hears of her master's condition and returns to sing a lament. So beautiful is the song, that Death itself is moved to tears and allows the Emperor to live. As with so many of us, the tale passed to legend and eventually the bird came to live at the court of the gods, where it remained until I traded it for an Asgardian peacock.'

'Hmmm and thou art willing to gift the bird to Eris, that she may in turn give it to her sister?'

Loki smiled most sincerely. 'Great Father of Olympus, Eris is my good friend and much would I do, to not only aid her but restore harmony ... no pun intended my dear,' he smiled at Harmonia '...to the court of Asgard's dearest friends.'

Zeus was satisfied. 'We shall hear the bird sing and if Harmonia wills it, then thou shalt return to Imperial favour, daughter Eris.'

And so The Nightingale sang and time had not diminished the celestial beauty of its voice. The court of Olympus was entranced, Harmonia besotted with her new pet and Zeus, greatly pleased. A full three days of feasting, did the mighty one order, in honour of his guest Loki and the wonderful Nightingale.

***

The third evening of the feast.

Loki met with Eris in a quiet corner of the palace. In the distance the revelries could be heard.

'What news?'

Eris smiled. 'As suspected, they gave the Nightingale the run of the aviary. For the past few nights, she has slipped out of the window and become familiar with the layout of the palace. Even should a guard see her, they do not challenge, for she always returns to her cage on the morrow.'

'The bird was able to enter the quarters of Zeus?'

'Aye ... and a most diligent search of his papers, did she make. This eve she found the proofs we were looking for ... correspondence between the Godheads of all the major realms. Proof positive that a compact exists!'

Loki considered. 'So, the legends were true ... and yet logic tells me, that no one Godhead could stand above the others. There must be an intermediary ... one who is neutral, beyond reproach and trusted by all.'

Eris leaned forward. 'Aye, one from a land far away, in a realm populated by beings that none would surely suspect of being involved in the affairs of the gods.'

'Dost thou have a name?'

'Aye my lord, our little spy found it. The creature's name is ... The Tortoise!'