Character Profiles: The Heist Part One (36-40)

Pompadour - Created for the Canadian television series based on Jean De Brunhoff's books on Babar the Elephant, Pompadour is a combination of valet and minister, serving the King of Elephantland.

In the Mythlands, Babar's Kingdom and it's inhabitants are relatively unchanged but have more experiences of other lands. Elephantland is very involved in the geo political landscape and closely allied to The Domain of the Mythical Creatures - King Babar sits on the board of MCI and Pompadour often represents him.

When not attending his beloved king or acting as an ambassador and representative, Pompadour sits on a council of Elephant ministers who run Elephantland on behalf of the royal family. In his private and public life Pompadour affects the dress and white powdered wig of a fashionable 17th or 18th century French gentleman. He is a loving and dedicated public servant and although he would not consider it appropriate to say so, a friend of the king.

Pompadour appears in Myth Vegas with King Babar, accompanying him to the high rollers poker game, which Babar won. Later on Pompadour greets The Hare and party when they travel to Elephantland as guests of the king during the birthday celebration spectaculars that Babar arranged for his queen.

Queen Celeste - Celeste appears in the Babar novels by Jean De Brunhoff. She is the cousin and later wife of King Babar, who is devoted to her.

Babar later founds a new capital city of Elephantland, which he names Celesteville after her and the pair go on to have a long and happy marriage. Their four children are Pom, Flora, Alexander and Isabelle. Their oldest son, Prince Pom is the heir to the throne and father of Celeste and Babar's grandson Prince Babar II who is known as Badou.

The Queen enjoys a happy life surrounded by her loving husband, children, grandson and her brother Arthur. As Elephantland continues to be a wealthy and stable nation in the Mythlands, the only fly in the ointment is the country's traditional enmity with it's neighbour Rhinoland and in recent decades growing hostility on it's other border from the Ozian regime.

During the events of The Heist, Babar invites friends including Mr Toad and the Hare to Celesteville  as part of the birthday celebrations he is putting on for his queen. 

Sadly the festivities are threatened by the explosions of several bombs in and around the capital. The parties behind the terrorist attack were found to be agents from Oz - in reality this was part of the Glass Cat's plan to bring chaos to the region and distract from his real goals. As a result of the accusations, Oz declared war on Elephantland and Rhinoland used the situation as an excuse to mount an invasion.

The royal family, including Celeste were not harmed in the bombing or invasions.

Mythical Creatures Interdimensional/Domain - In the year corresponding to 1946 in the mortal realm, the Mythlands appeared to come into spontaneous existence and thousands of literary lands and millions of characters were seemingly transported from their original realities.*

*Note - A philosophical debate still rages in the Mythlands with some believing they were transported from previous 'story' lives and others maintaining that they came to be in that first moment and everything from their past was just a false memory. Entire religions and philosophical movements have been built on this question and it still accounts for the greatest percentage of suicides within the Mythlands as characters, creatures and beings of all sorts find different ways to deal with or not deal with the existential crisis of the great questions.

While many realms were transported entirely and the shock of their new location wasn't immediately apparent, millions of beings - some who were unaware they were characters - appeared in a strange new land with what appeared to be terrifying inhabitants. The chaos of the first few months led to deaths and insanity by the thousands.