Reflections While Flying

The Stewardess stood at the entrance to the private MCI jet that was assigned for The Hare's exclusive use.

'Good morning gentlemen,' she greeted them, with a warm smile. 'My name is Rose Red and I will be your flight attendant on today's flight. Captain Blue will be your pilot. Welcome aboard Hare Force One ... that's our little joke. Mr H christened her that.'

Mr Toad and his manservant were the first aboard. 'Mornin' m'dear. Where is the gov'nor then? Ain't seen hide nor hair ... heh ... of the fellow since our adventure in the desert.'

'The Hare sends his regards Mr Toad, King Babar.' Rose nodded to the elephant king, who was following behind with the faithful Pompadour. 'He's feeling a bit unwell however and will be in his cabin for the time being. He sends his regards and hopes you'll enjoy the champagne breakfast.'

'Jolly decent of Hare to offer us a lift, eh yer maj?'

Babar lifted his trunk in agreement. 'Oh indeed Toad, indeed. Saves on summoning our own plane, eh Pompodour?'

'Quite so your majesty, quite so.'

They boarded. Behind them, The Glass Cat slinked aboard, unseen.

***

The Hare looked out of the window and saw Toad's servant departing - he'd be driving his master's roadster up north. Good old Toad ... a loyal friend. A friend The Hare couldn't yet face. He was still deeply depressed and ashamed ... how could he face Toad, or any of them. Even The Tortoise ... especially The Tortoise.'

His mind drifted back several nights, to the conversation with Vali.

The son of Loki had made it very clear that The Hare was beholden to his wishes and that should The Hare defy them, the consequences would be dire and not just The Hare, but others would suffer.

'And after all,' Vali had added soothingly. 'It is such a small thing that we want.'

'Why do you ...'

'No questions insolent cony. Thou shalt obey or suffer, as shall thy friends. In Asgard there be a delicacy ... a soup made of frogs, that I enjoy mightily. Methinks in the absence of frogs, a huge oversize toad will make an adequate substitute, with broth enow to feed a tribe of trolls, eh Grogsmyr?'

Vali's troll minion smacked his lips and nodded eagerly. 'Toad soup be good starter.'

'Aye and for the main, a roast haunch of elephant mayhaps? With goose flesh to flavour the dish!'

'Mmmm,' agreed Grogsmyr. 'With golden eggy sauce to dip!'

The Hare had shuddered and indicated his complete compliance. As a result he was to exercise his executive prerogative and ... well, here was what Vali had told him was to happen ...

'The board of MCI meets for its quarterly shareholders meeting. Although thou hast ne'er exercised your privileges, thou, mine friend, art technically a member of that board and that gives thee a legitimate excuse to attend the meeting. Said meeting will take place on the executive level and once inside thou will be past almost all the security measures and within reach of The Tortoise's private offices. Get thee inside, download the file and withdraw. We shall contact thee with instructions for what comes next.'

And so, The Hare reflected upon the betrayal that was to come ... but after all he had no choice but to ...

The door had silently opened and a pair of red heeled shoes had entered his vision as he sat, hunched over, staring at the floor. The Hare started to speak as he looked up.

'Rose, I asked not to be disturbed until ... Jessica?'

She grinned and put a finger to her lips. 'Not so loud honey. We have things to discuss, you and I, and I'd rather we weren't overheard!'