What a Hoot!

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF THE MYTHICAL CREATURES

There is a land. A place in space and time that is attached to the greater Mythlands of legend.

In the Mythlands, heroes and legends dwell ... epic adventures are re-told and added to, on a frequent basis. In the section of which I speak, however, the inhabitants prefer to live a quieter life, content to bask in past glories. Their fables and tales are mostly told and now these creatures seek only to enjoy eternity and the simple company of their peers.

This is the land of the Mythical Creatures, although that description itself is a slight misnomer. Most hail from fables or fairy tales ... the literature and legend of the mortal realm. There are few men or even humanoids in this quiet, green covered area, where the sun always shines (well, mostly. The odd spot of rain is good for the crops) and the sky is usually a pleasant blue.

Today, a member of the board of Mythical Creatures Interdimensional, is enjoying a break from the rat race. He has come to the lake-house he shares with his partner, to relax and renew.

IDYLL

The Pussycat woke up to the smell of coffee and breakfast.

He yawned and stretched out in a languid fashion. Then he rolled onto his side and his arm sought ...

'Oh!' he exclaimed as he realized he was alone. A note scented of lavender lay on the pillow. 'Back soon, my love,' it read.

'Now where could the silly old duffer be?' murmured the Pussycat.

'Perhaps the Farmer's Market? But why didn't he wait! We had planned to go together ... I do hope he doesn't forget the marrows and squash and ... why am I talking to myself!'

The Pussycat decided he needed his coffee and so he descended to the ground floor of their idyllic cottage. A fresh pot of Brazilian roast awaited him on the stove and a note on the fridge told him breakfast was within.

A cold collation of meats and cheeses with lovingly arranged melon slices intersected with berries had been prepared. The Pussycat was pleased but sad at the same time, for he would have loved to have breakfasted with his partner of all these decades, especially as today was their ...

He was struck by a thought! 'I hope the Tortoise hasn't called him to the office! I shall be very cross if that's the case!'

But after all, there was no reason why the old duffer wouldn't have let him know if it were so and ... hullo!

'Why, he's left his glasses on the kitchen table! He can't have gone far, for without them he can hardly see far at all!'

But then came a shout from outside.

'Aha, he's back, but why at the back instead of the front!' declared the Pussycat to himself.

Resolving to see, he exited out of the patio door and saw ...

'Surprise!!' shouted his tawny partner, spreading a wingspan to the lake.

Upon the water sat something that had not been there before ... a boat! A beautiful pea green boat!

'Did I get the colour right?' his love asked, anxiously ruffling his feathers.

The Pussycat felt tears come to his eyes as he handed over the glasses. 'See for yourself you superb Owl, you! It's perfect. Every detail is as I remember! What a hoot!'

The Owl smiled. 'Happy Anniversary,' he told the Pussycat and they hugged.

 'Happy Anniversary,' he told the Pussycat and they hugged