Convention of Cats 3: Convention

Convention

At this time of night - after 3am, the corridors were mostly deserted, but if anybody should wander near Function Room F, they would be in for a massive (meant literally) shock. Guarding the door was a cat so gigantic that he dwarfed The Cheshire Cat, at that famous feline's largest size.

The Yule Cat of Icelandic legend, crouched by the entrance, his head scraping the ceiling of the corridor, too massive a cat to even stand fully.

'Good evening Jólakötturinn or perhaps morning, if you or I or any cat were so inclined to take notice of the time,' greeted The Glass Cat.

The Yule Cat attempted a nod and replied in a clipped accent. 'Greetings to you brother. All are present and awaiting your address.'

Bungle smiled a gleaming smile. 'Excellent. Then stand aside so we may stand inside. By the way I shall have need of your services later, for later a troll will serve our purpose.'

They entered and The Yule Cat shuffled around to face inwards, his furry bulk blocking the door.

The room was filled with cats - ordinary looking moggies, ones that had the size and appearance of a normal cat, but with exotic features such as The Glass Cat and clothed cats with human stature, reclining elegantly on their seats. A bank of screens lined the walls and the faces of cats unable to attend, stared out, blinking and alert.

'Hail Bungle. Hail The Glass Cat!' declared a large Maltese with yellow eyes. It was King Felis of the Valley of Pussycats in Merryland, a country close to Oz. He was in attendance with his cousin Mrs Tabby and his uncle Palladius.

The room erupted into a roar of greeting as every feline in the room chanted Bungle's name. With a gracious smile, he padded over to a podium that had been set up and flanked by King Felis and The Cheshire Cat, raised a glass paw for silence. A hush fell instantly as the cats awaited his words.

'Brothers ... sisters,' he started, his gaze sweeping around the room, where several female cats were looking at him in adoration. There was Dinah, Alice's cat from Wonderland and more felines from Merryland, Snowball and Flitter, who were related to the king. Their kittens were on a screen in the corner ... one of them, belonging to Snowball had a distinctly blue and reflective sheen. Bungle gave her a quick wink.

'It is most gratifying that so many of you made the journey. I see comrades from Wonderland, Oz, Merryland, The Magic Forrest, The Domain and more. I see cats, small and I see cats large. English Lion, how goes it?'

'Not bad Sir, not bad indeed,' replied the big cat.

'Still having trouble with the Unicorn?'

The English Lion snorted. 'That horned poltroon? The fellow doesn't dare come near, hasn't recovered from the last beating!'

The Glass Cat chuckled. 'Let the brotherhood know, I pray, if you need a hand for our combined might is very handy indeed.'

'Point of order Mr Chairman?' called out a cat.

'The Chair recognizes Tom.'

'I just wanted to say that I motion that the Hungry Tiger be reallocated a seat away from the buffet. I don't like how he's eyeing the food.'

'So granted brother Tom. Tiger, tiger stomach rumbling tight, remove yourself from temptation's sight. Felix, if you wouldn't mind swapping seats with our friend.'

Cats around the room stretched their necks to gaze as the Tiger regretfully got up and moved across the room. Speculation was rife, as everyone knew The Hungry Tiger was an old friend of The Cowardly Lion and therefore connected to the establishment of Oz. His presence here signified that something was up. It could only mean that the Tiger had defected.'

The Glass Cat listened to the murmur and smiled, exchanging a glance with the Cheshire Cat. They had been very particular in their seat placements and it had been an absolute certainty that the OCD suffering Tom would speak out. The speculation would grow and that suited Bungle very well indeed. But first ...

'First piece of business on the agenda. The Narnia question. Have the troll known as Styrr brought in.'