Towering Skyscraper

The Hare got out of the limo and removed his shades. The corporate HQ of MCI had been impressive during the drive through the city, but standing right in front of its central tower - a veritable skyscraper melded with the old tower and extended - well that was something else entirely.

From here at the bottom of the courthouse style steps and craning his neck upwards, The Hare couldn't even see anywhere close to the top. He briefly wondered what it would be like to fall from such a great height.

'This way Sir,' Cancer of the Zodiac inclined his crab head, to indicate they should go inside. 'If you gentlemen will proceed into the foyer ...'

A reminder from the sinister black suited security officer was all it took to get Kings and Billionaires moving. The Hare wasn't either but his status as a senior executive placed him on a square footing with the rest.

Big Bruin himself was waiting inside. The huge black bear's eyes scanned the group and contained a brief hint of disappointment at not seeing his son accompanying them.

'Mr Hare, King Babar, Mr Toad, welcome to MCI gentlemen. Thank you Mr Cancer, I can take it from here.'

Cancer nodded and moved off to join a few of his colleagues who were busy scanning in a few late shift arrivals. An excitable monkey accompanied by a dog whose tongue was lolling around. The Hare took a brief note that they were talking beasts and not uprights.

Big Bruin took them through the marble floored foyer, after a brief pass through a detector and onwards to an open private elevator. The interior was spacious, mirrored and luxurious. Even the bulk of Big Bruin and two elephants were easily accommodated, with room on the sides for pot plants.

As the elevator whooshed upwards some 100 floors, The Hare appraised his reflection. This wasn't an unusual activity for him but today he had a different reason. The Hare stood six feet tall, almost on par with the elephants although far slimmer, a tad shorter than Bruin and he easily had a foot or so on the squatter figure of Mr Toad.

The Hare was rethinking his choice of wardrobe. White single breasted suit, black Metallica T-Shirt and expensive white trainers with red stripes and glowing blue and green neon strips around the bottom ... maybe not his best choice. He should at least not have rolled up his sleeves. Keep a low profile they'd said.

He would have to change. There were more business-like suits in his office. He would go there, rest a while and turn up looking respectable.

But first he would need to ask them where his office was located. He had never actually been there before!

The lift stopped on the 100th Floor. Mrs Tiggywinkle, PA to The Tortoise was there to greet the new arrivals. She looked prim, proper and sensible as always.

'Right this way gentlemen. Quarters have been prepared for you. Please rest and refresh yourselves.'

'Um Mrs T?'

'Yes Mr O'Hare?'

'I've uh dropped the O,' The Hare told her. Big Bruin had never bothered with it in the first place.

Mrs Tiggywinkle nodded. 'Very good Sir.'

'Can you direct me to my office. I want to change before the meeting.'

She looked him over and sniffed. 'Very sensible Sir. We've assigned you a temporary PA from the typing pool. She will assist you.'

'I um don't want to be disturbed until the meeting.'

Mrs Tiggywinkle arched one eyebrow. 'Mary can direct you to the bar in your office.'

'But I don't want ...'

'I assure you Mr Hare, you'll find her an excellent PA. She's not quite so contrary as the old stories would have you believe.'

'I meant I don't want a drink.'

Mrs Tiggywinkle arched her other eyebrow. 'As you say Sir.'

She led him down a corridor which ran the length of the right hand side of the building. Through the skyscraper's glass, he could see the surrounding countryside and although they were still 2 floors below the top, The Hare was awed by the view. They were literally on a level with the clouds and once again he wondered what it would be like to fall from such a great height!