An Unexpected Ally

On their way back from the dining cart, Goldie concluded the story she'd begun at dinner.

'... dived right down to the bottom of the lake and there it was!'

'Excalibur?' queried The Hare as he opened the compartment door for the ladies to enter.

Jessica demurely took her place while Goldie flopped down opposite. 'Nah mate, thought it was but my appraiser guy, takes one look and says it was some kind of Magic Kingdom knockoff. Bloody mouse had the last laugh, I'm guessing.'

The Hare removed his top hat and held the door open a bit longer. Moments later the Golden Goose joined them, staggering a bit after the amount of whiskey he had consumed in the drinks carriage.

As The Hare sat, Goldie was unbuttoning the top of her Victorian dress and fiddling with her bodice. 'Jeez Louise, I don't know how women here wear these all the time. Feels like my tits were put through a flamin mangle!'

Jessica frowned as she noticed The Hare staring at the aforementioned area of her friend's body, his ridiculous monocle looked slightly steamed. She snatched it from his face. 'Alright, enough pleasantries. Now we're alone for a while, lets talk about our next move. So far we've not had a moment to breathe, but we need to seriously give some thought about throwing a spanner in the works here.'

Goldie leaned forward, having somehow produced a cigarette from somewhere, which she now lit. 'Hold up, get your mate the mirror out first.'

'Good thinking.' Jessica reached into her bag and pulled out her compact. 'Magic, are you there? We need you.'

The face of the magic mirror appeared. 'Good evening Jessica. How goes it?'

The Mirror listened as Jessica reported the latest events. 'Firstly, I have scanned the surrounding environs and can detect no magic eavesdroppers nor any physical presence nearby. We can talk freely. Sadly I have nothing new to report on our end. Have you heard anything from Professor Licken?'

Jessica raised a hand to her forehead. 'I'm an idiot! I hid my phone away earlier in case The Narnians searched us, but Chicken may have texted by now and ...'

The Hare looked over. 'Jess? What's wrong?'

Jessica was leaning under her seat. 'My hand just touched something furry.'

'Please,' came a voice. 'Don't be alarmed. I had to know if you were good people.'

The grey head of a cat emerged from below. The head of Griffin J Cat!

'Magic!? What the hell. I thought you said there was no one about!?'

The Mirror frowned. 'I heard a voice but detect no presence. Please face me towards the intruder.'

Jessica did so as The Hare scooped the nervous tabby up in his arms. Goldie had produced her knife from under her skirts and was holding it to Griffin's throat.

'Great Scott! I see him now, but only in my direct line of physical sight. How is this possible!'

'Please!' squeeked Griffin in a timid voice. 'I think the Glass Cat has misrepresented himself, I saw The Hare tried not to hurt anyone at the compound and so I kept watch and I think we're on the same side and ... and I read Miss Jessica's phone message, I'm sorry and, and we have to stop Bungle from doing something terrible!'

Goldie was the first to speak. 'This little creep is thick as thieves with the Glass Cat. I say we cut his throat and throw the body from the window before he dobbs us all in.'

'Wait!' It was the Magic Mirror. 'Why I cannot see this feline by magical means is a mystery to me, but I am able to get a sense of his core persona. Griffin the cat is fundamentally honest and good. I believe he is telling the truth. Now young cat, seeing as your curiosity got the better of you and you've read the Professor's message, kindly relay the information to us.'

A much relieved Griffin did so and this provoked a fierce discussion.

Eventually the Goose spoke. 'It seems quite obvious to me. Without these rings, Bungle can't access this Wood Between Worlds, so we find them first and destroy them!'