Part Two: Deep in the Woods

The last talking animal surviving in the Magic Forrest, reflected on the time of year.

Yule. Christmas ... twas the season to be jolly. Yeah, right.

Still, he had a debt to repay and the time had come.

The Hare was here at last and uncannily he looked exactly like the day the observer had last seen him, over five years ago. Exactly ... like, not an iota different. Same jacket, same Metallica t-shirt, same exact clothes. But then there was the other Hare, who looked completely different - long hair, leather jacket, eye patch.

The observer shrugged his ... I guess humans and uprights would call them his shoulders. Weirder things had happened than two non identical Hares, even though The Hare was supposed to be one of those types who was completely unique, without any dopplers. Those whisperings could have been wrong too, but he didn't think so. Despite the difference in appearance, the observer had a strong feeling he was seeing the exact same Hare, twice.

He shrugged and the movement jiggled the amulet around his neck. The observer looked down and gave a small half smile - he had the amulet and even without it, he had seen some freaky shit go down, so seeing two Hares was no big deal.

'Now's when I find out what you are Hare ... Hares.' he muttered. 'Are you the snake or the heart? They say you were responsible for what went down, but you gave me sort of a heads up and the amulet saved my tawny ass more times than I can count. That's gotta count for something.'

The animal shook his small head and grinned. 'Guess, I'm going half insane after all this time deep in the woods. Hell, I'm talking to myself but you said you'd come and now its my turn - I'll be your trojan horse ... it's what i'm here for, even if I didn't know for sure until today. You gave me a gift and now I have to return the favour. Snake, heart, trojan horse and the clock ticked down to this exact moment ... seemed like a goddamn dream but now I see you, I see you're real and that means I'm not mad, I'm not doomed. Hope remains.'

A tear trickled down the observer's eye and a deep shuddering sob issued throughout his slender frame. 'Goose's cottage ... that's where you said you'd make for, so now I just have to make sure you get there without ... it ... stopping you.'

He shuddered again, this time for a completely different reason. The amulet gave him extra perception and he knew the creature was on the move ... the air currents were sped up. The fiend had sensed the newcomers and was moving towards them with rapid speed. Rabbits to the slaughter.

'Hell no! You're not getting them.'

The observer bounded forth, his four legs hitting the ground with a speed and urgency he hadn't felt in a long time. Towards the beast ... he had to intercept it, fling himself headlong into it's path and lead it away from The Hares.

Along the way, was the grave. The simple cross marking the spot where the observer had once seen The Hare before, years ago ... a sighting that had given him hope, although he knew from the warning that this would not be the time and he should stay well hidden until afterwards. The Hare was heading south, not north. Wrong direction and wrong time.

The observer had almost begun to doubt his sanity, despite the sighting, but he had been told. Let events play out, don't interfere, don't be seen and then Hare had whispered where he had to look and what he had to do. Today was the day.

Stopping before the grave, the observer bowed his head. 'I'm sorry I couldn't save you, but if it's any consolation, your sacrifice will help me to help your friend. Nudging the dirt mound with his nose, the observer found the spot and dug at it with his front hoof. Soon enough a length of twine was uncovered and the observer used his teeth to pull at the loop, until the bag that was buried below started to break free.

Then he sensed the presence of the demon, rushing through the trees. 'That should be enough.' He abandoned the bag and ran in the opposite direction - the presence diverted and followed him.

Ten minutes later The Hares passed the spot.

'We're out of the way,' complained Hare. 'We should have borne more to the right!'

Future Hare rounded on his past self. 'Zip it kid and pay your respects. Last time I was in these parts, I ... we lost a good friend. Ok, sure, in your world you never met him but believe me, he was one of the best and Rick and the guys and I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for ...'

As Future Hare knelt somberly before the grave, Hare stomped over.

'I thought you said this Rick and the others all died.'

'Yeah but that was later, once we were clear of the forest. AW here saved my furry butt and all the rest of us from ...' He stood abruptly. 'Oh shit, I forgot! Let's move out.'

'What's that poking up from the earth?' The Hare pointed at the top of the bag.

Future Hare leaned over. 'Could it be ... Guys, help me pull this bad boy out!'

With Fierce and Wiley helping, it took moments to pull the bag free and Future Hare undid the cord around the edges and peeked inside. 'Damn! Ol AW is still helping. Come on, let's go.' He shouldered the bag and they headed off.

*

The talking animal skidded to a halt at the edge of a forest ravine. He turned, a big grin on his face - trapped and no way out, but he wasn't concerned in the least.

The demon came haring at him, more elements than physical shape, but the observer stood his ground and began laughing as the thing came up short.

'Hah, you dumb ass ... every single damn time. You never learn you can't touch me as long as I have the amulet of protection!'

The demon screamed in frustrated rage and sped away, leaving the talking animal behind.

Moments later he was on the run again. 'Amulet give me speed. I need to get to the glade before Hare does!'