Nepotism

ARSON INVESTIGATION

ARSON INVESTIGATION

There was a knock at the door.

'Come.'

Mrs Tiggywinkle stuck her head around the frame. 'Sorry to disturb you Sir, but Ariel is here for her 2 o clock.'

'Ah, excellent. Send her in.'

A moment later a tiny six inch figure flitted past Mrs Tiggywinkle's furry head and alighted on the CEO's desk.

The Chief Exec continued writing for a moment, then slowly and deliberately removed his reading glasses and replaced them with the special magnifiers. They made his sparkling brown eyes stand out, as if many times enlarged. With a wave of his gnarled right hand, the old boy indicated that Ariel should seat herself on a tiny chair set up on the top of the desk, especially for Fairy visitors.

'Good ... afternoon, Ariel. Have you ... completed your ... investigation of the ... site?'

Ariel took a moment to adjust her amplifier and then her voice boomed around the luxuriously appointed office.

Seeing the CEO wince, she held up a tiny hand in apology and re-adjusted to get the right volume and eliminate the feedback and echo.

'It's mixed news I bring thee Master Chairman.'

The old fellow blinked and waved a slow hand to show that she should continue. These Fey had a penchant for dramatic pauses and although the CEO of Mythical Creatures Interdimensional was a cautious and thorough sort, much given to careful deliberation and the opposite of hasty, he preferred others impart their information at a measured but not over drawn out pace.

Ariel acknowledged this and withdrew her specially designed tablet, to upload the full report to his system. In the meantime she knew the Chief would want the general details, painful as they might be for him to hear.

'While mine own investigations found no hint of deliberation, nor malice cruelly intended in regards to the fire, tis my unfortunate duty to inform thee Master, that negligence be the cause.'

The CEO sighed. 'Go on.'

'Tis the fault of the Manager ... safety checks were rushed and hurried. Standards neglected I fear.'

'The kitchens ... I ... assume.'

Ariel nodded. 'Aye, tis so. Master O'Hare, though known to be a congenial host and well beloved figure to the patrons, cared only, t'would seem, to mingle with the dinner crowds and bask in their attentions tis told. His neglect of the workings of the establishment, be well known. I have in mine possession, affidavits from the cook and wait staff. The Easter Bunny was fair furious, as he had reminded Master O'Hare of these safety measures time and time anon.'

The Chief sighed heavily. 'Then I have no choice ... but to reassign him ... to a position less likely ... to do harm.'

Ariel frowned. 'Master, I know you and he go back, but the creature is a pernicious loon. I recommend dismissal.'

The CEO called for Mrs Tiggywinkle and began to slowly, agonizingly stand. As his PA helped him into his shell, The Tortoise reflected on Ariel's words. He SHOULD sack his old friend, but ever since he'd won their race, he'd felt responsible.

No, reassignment it would have to be ... somewhere where the Hare couldn't cause any damage!