Character Profiles: The Heist Part One (11-15)

The Cheshire Cat - Surprisingly the origins of the Cheshire Cat predate Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (1865) although the character as we know it was originated by Carroll. The phrase upon which the character was possibly modeled has turned up throughout centuries of English history but it's first definitive use in literature. A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (Second, Corrected and Enlarged ed.). London, England. by Francis Grose (1798) contains the following entry: 

Cheshire cat. He grins like a Cheshire cat; said of any one who shows his teeth and gums in laughing. 

Within the Mythlands, Wonderland arrived as a whole entity and many of the characters were far less affected by events outside their boarders. The Cheshire Cat is now as the Cheshire Cat has always been, but with more experiences. Chesh has travelled the Mythlands and is an active and prominent member in the wider Cat community, acting as friend, confidant and defacto right hand cat to the movement's leader, the Glass Cat of Oz.

Sardonic, sarcastic, occasionally lazy, sometimes industrious and always maintaining an element of mystery and a demeanour which views the world around him as a large play being put on for his own amusement, the Cheshire Cat is nevertheless loyal and dedicated, but only to those he deems worthy of his friendship.

While the full extent of his abilities are something he likes to keep close to his chest, it is known that the Cheshire Cat can change his proportions, often in a way which ends up with him drawing all of his mass into his head, which can float like a giant balloon if he so wills it. He can also rotate his head all the way around and often spins it, much to the annoyance of others. The Cheshire Cat can also mysteriously vanish, most often while manifested in giant disembodied head form - whether this is a power of his or a trick based on illusions and misdirection, is not known.

The Wizard King - One of the high-rollers at the Hare's high stakes private poker game held in a private suite in the Lucky Cactus Casino Hotel Resort in Myth Vegas, the Wizard King only has a brief appearance in the Heist.

Originating from a collection of French Fairy Tales entitled Les Fees illustres In the 18th century, the story of the Wizard King might even be older than that. Translated and popularized for the English language by the Scottish poet and author Andrew Lang, its most well known form appeared in his collection of fairy tales entitled The Yellow Fairy Book (1894) with more well known tales such as Thumbellina, The Emperor's New Clothes and The Nightingale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_King

The Nome King - Later known as the Gnome King of Oz, the character first appeared in the 3rd book in the Oz series - Ozma of Oz (1907) by L. Frank. Baum. Once an implacable foe of Oz, Roquat the red (later renamed as Ruggedo in the 21st book - The Gnome King of Oz - 1927) has now become an ally and admirer of the grown up Queen Ozma. While beautiful the arrogant and tempestuous Ozma has driven away most of her suitors, but the Nome King, who likes her dominant ways. Therefore he has appointed a regent in his own land and now spends most of his time in Ozma's court hoping to get her attention.

Among various abilities that Roquat possesses, he can become invisible and change his size.

In appearance the Nome King is of giant stature (he shrinks down when accompanying Ozma) and has long white (formerly red) hair and huge beard sprouts.

Queen Ozma of Oz - Created by Frank. L. Baum, the former Princess Ozma first appeared in the 2nd book in the Oz series - The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904) and has been in every book except the first.

As a girl Ozma was a benevolent and even tempered ruler but since Oz materialized in the Mythlands some seven decades ago she has aged to her early 20's and become obsessed with the politics of power. As a result Queen Ozma has established herself as an absolute monarch and views her right to reign as divine.

Her temperament has worsened over the years, not made any better by the fact that despite her stunning beauty, men keep breaking their engagements with her. She entirely fails to see that her temper is the reason and this plays into the persecution complex she's developed. To make matters even worse after her ninth break up, Ozma has started executing lovers who rejected her in line with her royal decree that treason now included 'attacks on the Queen's feelings.'

Only the Nome King, who secretly harbours desires for Ozma to dress in corset, stockings and high leather boots, while whipping and humiliating him, has stuck with her, but she rarely encourages his suit.

Dissent in Oz is growing and several prominent Ozians have been executed or forced to flee. Among them Bungle, the Glass Cat, who Ozma has ordered 'shattered into a thousand pieces' on sight.

Under Ozma, the rule of Oz has expanded to it's traditional neighbours who are now part of the Greater Ozian Sphere. While nominally independent this status quo was tested recently when the people of the Land of Ix voted to leave the alliance. Ozma responded to the proposed Ixit, by sending in troops to occupy Ix.

Relations between Oz and it's neighbours such as Wonderland and Elephantland, continue to deteriorate.

Tommy Tucker - Originating from a famous nursery rhyme, the earliest mention of the rhyme was in Tommy Thumb's Pretty Song Book circa 1744. A fuller version was recorded in Mother Goose's Melody (1765) but the tale of Little Tommy Tucker singing for his supper possibly goes back centuries before that, with several mentions of Tom Tuck's in the 1600's. A few real life Thomas Tuckers were recorded  including a Bachelor of Arts who was appointed 'Prince or Lorde of the Revells' at St John's College, Oxford , in 1607, so the rhyme may have been based on one of them.

As with most child characters, Little Tommy Tucker has aged to beyond 21 since his arrival in the Mythlands. These days he works as a Frank Sinatra style crooner, working the various cabaret rooms in the Lucky Cactus in Myth Vegas. He appears only in a brief cameo in the Heist.