Chapter 58

Avery's P. O. V.

    "Can the accused please come to the stand?", the judge said and I stood up and went to the stand.

   " Are you a Christian or a Muslim? ",a lady asked.

   " Christian ",I said.

   " Place your hand on the bible and swear that you will say nothing but the truth",she said and I placed my hand on the bible and repeated as she said. Then it reminded me of how I placed my hand on the bible in Charles house and Joel got made at my confession.

Now is not the time to think of the past. Today all you need do is pray, because today will determine your future.

I closed my eyes and prayed: Please God don't let me rot in this prison, I don't want to face years of beating and torture from Bella, please give me the strength to get through this. Please God, I beg of you.

"Can the prosecutor come to the stand?", the judge said and Joel came forward.

    " What is the crime brought forward? ",the judge asked.

    " Murder ",the lawyer said.

    " My lord, my client has been accused of murder, she was been attacked by her friends and as a means of self defense she pushed her and she fell to the ground hitting her head on her bed", my lawyer said.

    " I object my Lord, Avery has been showing some form of violence even before my client sister died",Joel's lawyer said.

   "Its a lie", I said but I was asked to shut up.

   " Proceed, do you have a witness",the judge said.

    "Thank you, my lord. Yes,I have a witness. Angel Adebisi come to the stand please", Joel's lawyer said.

  Angel walked to the stand and placed her hand on the bible promising to say the truth and nothing but the truth. My own sister is testifying against me.
Keep it together, Avery. Don't break down in front of them, don't show them how weak you are. You are strong Avery, so act like one.

   " I was in my room talking to Mil, then Avery came in and began to beat me, Mil tried to stop her but she pushed Mil and began to beat me again. She didn't care to tell me where I went wrong. She never acted like an elder sister, she hated and maltreated me.",Angel said.

   "Do you have any prove?", the judge asked.

   "Yes, this is the mark", she  showed them some mark on her body.

    " Is that true, Avery?",the judge asked me.

     "It-"

   "What your sister said is it true? Remember you took an oath", the judge said.

    " Yes it is but I did that because-"

    "She is also heartless, my Lord. She ripped her ex- boyfriends heart apart-"

   "Objection, my lord. She is going into her personal life.", my lawyer finally spoke up.

   "Objection sustained ", the judge said and Joel's lawyer sat down.

   " Can I have Joshua on the stand please?",the lawyer said and Josh stood on the stand and took an oath.

     "Your sister and the deceased were never friends with her right?", my lawyer asked and Josh nodded.

   " Yes or no, don't nod",my lawyer said.

    "Yes", Josh said.

    " They threatened her on some occasions, right?",my lawyer asked.

   He hesitated before replying, "Yes".

     " They linked a video concerning her online, right?",He asked again.

   "Yes", Josh answered.

   " Who exactly linked it?",he asked.

    "Angel,Mil, Dawn,Mary and Mia", he replied.

    " They hated her right?",my lawyer asked.

    "Yes", he answered.

    " So my Lord, her sister, ex bestfriend, Dawn, Mia and Mary hated her. They linked a video of her online and she went to confront them and ask them why they did so and they fought and she pushed her just to defend herself and she unfortunately dead. My client killed Mia just to save herself and it was a mistake ",my lawyer said and sat down.

    " Josh, did you and Avery have an affair? ",Joel's lawyer asked.

   He looked around before answering," Yes, we did".

    "Was it during the time she was dating Joel?", she asked.

   " Objection my Lord, that's personal ",my lawyer said.

   " Objection overruled, proceed ",the judge said.

      " Were you guys having a secret affair while Joel and Avery were together? ", she asked.

    "Yes, we were.", Josh answered.

     " Was Joel or anyone aware of this?",she asked again.

    "No, they weren't.", Josh replied.

     " Was that the reason Avery almost killed her sister?",she asked.

    "No", he said.

    " Can you tell us why she almost killed her blood sister? ",she said.

    " She found out that her sister has been sleeping with her boyfriend. She was hurt and broken",Josh explained.

     "But she did the same thing at his back. But when her sister did it she intended to hospitalise her. How wicked can she be? Someone like her can kill, she is capable of killing", she said making me look bad.

   " Who intended to keep the affair a secret? ",she asked.

   " I did",Josh said.

    "But she would have backed out if she wanted right?", She asked.

   " Yes, but she didn't. She enjoyed been around me, she begged me to never leave her, we made promises",Josh said.

  "But?", she asked.

    " But she left me the day Joel came back, on her birthday, she told me she was only using me, that she needed me to cuddle her, make her feel like a woman and to take her out, she said I never meant anything to her, she ended it up all because Joel returned, all because he bought her a car",Josh looked me in the eyes and tears dropped. I didn't say the way he just did, he left me,he just hated me.

     "Oooohhh, he enticed her with a car, with a car she threw your love away. You see my Lord, she is heartless and wicked, if she could do this to her sister then she could do it to anyone, she cheated on her boyfriend but when her boyfriend cheated on her she beat her sister and nearly killed her, that kind of a person is capable of killing",Joel's lawyer ended and sat down.
They are turning my words, I didn't mean it that way, please.

" This meeting has been adjourned to next month ",the judge said.