Devilman Crybaby (SPOILERS)

Sooo,
Not too long ago I started watching an anime called Devilman Crybaby. I started watching it because of a critic/youtuber called Cosmonaut Variety Hour (I do suggest you go check him out). The anime started off well. Besides all of the nudity and violence, it was edgy and new to me, so I liked it. The art style is also different from usual animes. Now if you intend to watch the anime, don't read this chapter. You'll get spoiled. SPOILERS ALERT.

In episode 1 you're put into the setting. It's a normal world, then this guy called Ryo discovers that there are demons, he turns his bestfriend Akira into a demon with human heart (which they call a devilman, a demon that has the powers of a demon but the emotions of a human). He turns his bestfriend into a demon because he wants to show the world that demons exist.

Then from episode 2 to 5 you just see Akira (devilman) kill a bunch of demons because he hates them and he wants to exterminate them (and also because his parents were killed by demons when they came to visit him). It's good, it's emotional, and keep in mind that it's all EXTREMELY violent. Almost everyone is killed brutally, even the demons.

So from there you're already disappointed that his parents were killed, but it helps with the story, and in stories you need to kill a few characters. But then, BUT THEN, from episode 6 to 10, shit hits the fan.

Here's how. First off, Ryo shows the world that demons exist. By doing so, he ends up being responsible for the death of hundreds of athletes. Already, you feel like the writers killed way too many people for no apparent reason, but you shrug it off. Moreover, the world goes crazy. Hundreds of civilians are killed because people believe that they are demons. It's basically like if tomorrow we were told that there were demons amongst us, we would all go crazy because we wouldn't be able to trust anyone anymore. Because we wouldn't know who's a demon, who's not, who could randomly kill us. This is what happens in the anime. The world goes mad and humanity is on the verge of self extinction. So far, everything's fine, right? It all makes sense, it does! That's exactly what would happen. But then, shit gets heavy. You start to get attached to this girl called Miki and this one called Miko. You sorta feel an attachment to Akira's step parents. You also feel an attachment to some thugs that protect Miki.

So Akira's step mom discovers that their little kid Taro is a demon. Later in that episode, this kid turns into a demon and eats his mom. Great. His dad comes to their rescue but he's too late. He sees Taro eating his mom, he bursts in tears. He contemplates on whether he should kill Taro (because he's turned into a demon) or not. He knows that he should but he doesn't want to because it's still his son. Before pulling the trigger, he gets blasted to shreds by the military. Great. They're dead.

Next off, Ryo tells the world that Akira is a demon. Because of this, rioters go to Akira's house and they go after Miki and the thugs. Keep in mind you've grown attached to the thugs by now, sorta, but still. Miki and Miko run off but all of the thugs get killed by rioters. At the end of the episode, Akira's step sister and most important person in the world Miki, gets a knife in her back. The last scenes you get are rioters chanting around a fire with the body parts of Miki, Miko, and the thugs, on sticks. STICKS. It's fucking gruesome, frustrating and edgy. They killed everyone and anyone you liked in the anime. The only two people left are Akira and Ryo.

You find out later that Ryo is Satan, and his plan all along was to kill all humans and give the world to demons. In the last episode you see a decent fight between Ryo and Akira.

The writers disappointed me enough, they won't disappoint me any more, right? I guessed wrong. In the last scene, you see Akira and Ryo looking up at the stars. The world is destroyed, everyone is dead except for those two, looking up at the stars. Ryo talks to Akira, and then he asks him to respond. Akira doesn't. Obviously. Because he's DEAD.

Ryo cries because his friend is dead

Ryo cries because his friend is dead. He finally feels emotion. So don't get me wrong. The ending is fine, I guess. Why do I hate the anime so much though? Because it's good from episode 1 to 5. From episode 6 to 10, it's just disappointing. They kill all of your favourite characters. The only person left is Ryo, who is the antagonist, and you're supposed to feel sad for him. I didn't feel a thing. They ended it that way for it to be emotional. It wasn't. Throughout the anime, you never got to like Ryo. He was a piece of shit all along, and the anime ends with only him alive, with all of the other characters dead, who also died in the most frustrating ways.

Anyways. This probably wasn't worth reading, and even though Devilman Crybaby may be a Netflix masterpiece, I sincerely don't think it's worth watching. There are thousands of very good animes out there. Go watch them, like Hunter x Hunter or the Fate series.

(I wrote too much I'm not going over this chapter)
Peace out.