Shadow Squadron

Sōnin - Backstory
Sōnin was an army veteran who used to serve in an elite force known as the shadow squadron. Composed of some of the army's best men, they would only operate at night. That was what they specialized in, the darkness. They would sleep during daytime and work at nighttime. Sōnin was the squadron's, and maybe even the army's best marksman. He had hundreds of one-shot takedowns. He was the North's best sniper. He would never hesitate, he would never miss a shot. Even in freezing temperatures; even at night when his vision wouldn't be entirely clear. He was one hell of a prodigy, born to shoot and kill. His squadron was seen as legendary, having an incredible success rate. They would've continued to thrive if it wasn't for that last mission they were given.

On a very snowy day in Falkreath, the shadow squadron got assigned to a mission. They were told move somewhere out of their comfort zone, the South. They prepared for the occasion and made their way there. Once there, they were submitted to incredible heat, nothing they couldn't handle though, they just needed to get used to it. After staying at the City of Kyrat's main headquarters for a day, they got new orders. Their next destination was somewhere in the Great Desert of Shurima. All they needed to do was to follow coordinates they were given. Those coordinates would lead them to some oddly deserted military base.

After a few hours of walking, they finally got there. The squadron silently made it's way around the building, looking for anything interesting they could find and take note of. Once nothing was found, they broke in. They entered one at a time, pointing their guns and flashlights at nothing but emptiness. The base seemed completely empty, and after searching the first and second floor, that's what was concluded. Sōnin discovered a hidden door that led to the basement. He made notice of his discovery, and was then told to continue searching thoroughly while the rest of the squadron would go investigate downstairs.

After a while, Sōnin quickly discovered something odd. Something was off, but he couldn't exactly figure out what. It seemed as if people had been here recently, but then if that was the case, where had they gone to now? The squadron had been told previously that a few hours ago, the military base that they were at as of now had all of the sudden completely stopped responding to headquarters. As if everyone who worked here had magically vanished in the instant of a second.

Suddenly, something could be heard. Screams. They resonated throughout every hallway in the building. Sōnin was terrified. It sounded as if someone was getting ripped apart. Shivers ran through his whole body, he couldn't move one single bit. Then, more screams filled his ears, from different people. Someone was getting torn into pieces, while someone else was undoubtedly suffering great pain. He had never heard such frightening screams. It traumatized him.

When it all stopped, so did his heart, for a few seconds. Had it all actually happened? It seemed unreal. After a few minutes of staring into the void, Sōnin finally got the courage to get up and go look at what had happened. For once in his life, he hesitated, but finally got to opening the door to the basement. He slowly and carefully made his way down the stairs. Once at the bottom, he stepped in some red liquid. The room was filled and flooded with blood. His comrades' equipments were scattered across the room. His mates had all been killed, their bodies torn apart in pieces. The Shadow Squadron had been wiped by some unknown force, leaving only one member: Sōnin.

He resigned a few days later and was sent back to Falkreath. Later, he disappeared from existence and was never to be found again.