One

"Hi and welcome back to the tonight show with your host Karen Kin. In the studio we have Elijah MacArthur, owner of MacArthur Industries for first time interview" Karen smiled at the camera as the curtains behind her uplifted. Elijah MacArthur made his entrance in a tailored fit navy suit, buttoning it up as he walked out. He offered a small smile as he stepped onto the stage, sitting down with the host. He ran a hand through his hair, throwing his brown hair to the back but one strand made it way back, sitting on his forehead.

No one would believe him if he said the stylist dumped a tub of gel in it. Just before he walked out, he glanced one last time in the mirror, fixing his hair.

Appearance mattered. He learnt that from a young age. This was his first interview since he became a name. A brand in itself. People were eager to know him and he was willing to give them a show.

"So Mr MacArthur, you've been a household names for the past couple of years? Why is this your first interview?"

"Call me Elijah" He paused "Would you believe me if I said it was my mom's request?" His smile turned into a gentle smile.

It was true. Elijah's first interview was at his mother's request. After years of annoying him, Elijah finally agreed. She was proud of him and wanted the whole world to know about him.

"That's very sweet. Are you guys close?"

"She's my bestfriend" Elijah replied in response, not wanting to give away any more information. He liked his life private.

Karen moved on, reading off the cards "No one knows the real man behind the story so what is your story Elijah?" Karen asked with a smile

"I worked hard to make an impact on the world and I didn't want my younger brother going through what I went through"

"Silas right?"

"Yeah"

"He has quite the followers on Instagram" Karen commented. "And made headlines for speeding flashy cars"

Elijah nodded, feeling the need to defend his younger brother. Nobody talked shit about Silas. "He's young and irresponsible but he knows his actions have consequences"

Karen didn't get the answer she was hoping for and moved on."Is he your motivation?"

"My family are. When I was growing up, my parents had to sacrifice a lot and now I want to make sure they don't miss out"

"That quite rare these days. Most are out for themselves" Karen said

"No, my family are everything. Money doesn't buy you happiness. Family does"

"Okay, that's all for today. Thank You Elijah and join us tomorrow for more the Tonight show"

The camera went off. Elijah could relax. He dropped back into the seat, making small talk with Karen. She was an pawn in the game. The producers of the show wanted him caught in the act.

All the questions were directed about his family life. The life the media never saw. He mentally rolled his eyes. That was his first and last interview.

***

"We just saw the show and you don't know how proud we are of you" Maria told her son on the phone, her joy evident in her voice. Elijah listened tentatively whilst enjoying the ride home through busy New York.

"I'm on my way home and then we'll talk."

"Okay"

"Bye, Love you mom" Elijah said and hanged up. Tucking his phone away in the pocket of his blazer, he pressed his temples. The car halted to a stop. He nodded to the driver and went inside.