Thirty

"The total is $64.33," the cashier said. Elijah took out a hundred dollar bill, handing it over. The cashier returned the change, and he grabbed his cart, walking towards the exit. "Am I seeing this?" He heard Diana's voice.

He turned around as Diana approached him. "Elijah MacArthur shopping like a normal human being,"

"I am human," Elijah corrected as she walked up to him

"Trust me, you're not," Diana replied

"Why are you here?" Elijah sighed

"I need toiletries. I started my period." Diana shrugged

"Thanks for that," Elijah said, pushing his cart out. He hoped the conversation ended there and continued walking ahead

"What? Are you one of those guys that is disgusted by period because, sir, it's - "

"I'm not disgusted. It's a personal matter. I don't see how it involves me," Elijah shrugged. He walked out to his car, loading his bags into the back. He looked for Diana as she leaned against the car, clutching her stomach.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he returned the cart

"Stomach cramps," Diana replied. "Nothing I can't handle," She unlocked her car. Elijah closed the door, snatching the keys from her. He pulled her to his car

"Sure you can. Get in the car,"

"I'm fine,"

"Get in the damn car," He rolled his eyes. He finished unloading his bags and climbed into the driver's seat.

"Where are we going?" She asked

"My apartment," He replied, reversing out of the car park and driving.

"Why are we going there? Drop me off at my place,"

"My ice cream is going to melt." He shrugged. His apartment was close by. He handed the keys to the valet and told his driver about the groceries in the back as he headed up with Diana.

"Wow, your apartment is"

"Grand, I know," Elijah replied, walking past her to the kitchen

"Cold. Your apartment is cold," She corrected. He frowned, walking over to the thermostat.

"It's fine," He turned around.

"I mean, it lacks personality. It doesn't feel like a home,"

"I haven't moved in officially, and I like the walls, gives the house some personality,"

"Yeah, like yours," Diana said, dropping herself on the couch. She clutched her stomach again. Elijah looked around for blankets and wrapped it around her body. "Wait, here, I'll make green tea,"

He walked into the kitchen, looking for his herbal ingredients. A while later, he returned with a cup. "Here, it will help,"

"You seem to be an expert despite not having a girlfriend,"

"When Silas was young, he had cysts in his intestine. He would be crying in pain for hours. Hugs, warmth, and green tea would help,"

"You're not going to hug me, are you?" Diana asked

"Not unless you want me to," Elijah replied. He sat down

"So what happened with Silas?" Diana asked, sipping her green tea

"He needed surgery, and we simply couldn't afford it."

"What did you do?"

"Dad had to ask his boss for a loan, and he exploited the shit out of my father."