Six

"The billionaire Elijah MacArthur was spotted with younger brother Silas MacArthur in town whilst driving a Lamborghini" the presenter said on the TV as Maria watched her boys appear on the screen. She shook her head in disappointment. Elijah didn't leave a good example.

Photos of the brothers appear on the screen.

"We already know Elijah MacArthur is a family man but is this just adorable" The presenter went on, talking about the photo that were taken outside McDonald's. Silas was shoving spoons of McFlurry in his mouth as Elijah drank his coffee

"Hey Ma" The brothers walk in, kissing their mother's cheek.

"Where have the both of you been?" She asked like she hadn't been informed of their evening

"Well we went for a drive" Silas smiles as Maria frowned

"Yeah the world saw you two driving beyond the speed limit" She point to the tv

"To be fair it was Silas who was driving" Elijah squinted his eyes, pointing at Silas

"You're my older brother. You should have lead by example"

They squabble and it was Maria who announced peace. "Boys, shut up. Remember we have game night tonight"

"How could we forget ma?" Both boys say in unison

"I just thought you boys would have better things to do than spend time with your parents"

"Ma, how could you think that. It's our family tradition on Thursday is game night and takeout" Elijah said, kissing his mother's knuckles. For him, nothing more mattered than his family.

***

"Pa?" Elijah knocked the bedroom door and slowly walked in. Alfonso sat upstraight in his wheelchair, clearing his faces of tears.

"Pa, what happened?"

"Nothing. I was just about to come out. Did I miss anything?"

"Pa, tell me what's wrong." Elijah sat down beside his dad.

"Fine, my brother, your uncle Alfred called, said he needs some money."

"No dad" Elijah shook his head. "They abandoned you"

Alfonso was half Italian and half British. His father being British and falling in love with an Italian women then taking her to England where they had 9 kids together. Alfonso the youngest kid, only for their father to died because of the flu

After the death of Alfonso's father, his mother moved back to Italy, leaving him in the hands of his elder siblings which abandoned him. So his uncles brought him a ticket to Italy so he could live with his mother. A couple years later,  when Alfonso travelled in the south, he met Maria and that's a whole other story for another day.

"Son, they are still my family"

"Dad, you told me and Si that family are the ones with you during the good times and bad. Not the one that pick when you deserve their love and don't. Next time he calls, tell him to call his nephew, Elijah MacArthur"

"Okay"

"Now are you coming to family night because Silas is beating me in Pictionary and I don't like losing"

"Yeah, I'm coming" Alfonso smiled as Elijah picked himself up and pushed the wheelchair out the room.

***

The window was wide open, allowing the rush of air in. Elijah stood there, deep in his thoughts.

He still couldn't escape his problems. Whether he was, he was rich or poor trouble followed him and not only him but his family. His parents who had done nothing wrong.

"You know too much thinking is bad for health" Maria spoke after watching her son a while deep in his thoughts.

"Mom"

"I brought you hot chocolate" She offer him the cup. He moved to the bed, taking a sip.

"What's on your mind?"

"We can't live in peace anywhere. I thought if we have money it would be fine"

"Elijah, there will problem in every step of life. It's a test of character"

"But I feel helpless"

"Some battles aren't yours to fight. You don't have to carry the weight of the world on your shoulder. Your dad will fight his own battle so will I and so will Silas. You can support but it's not yours to fight. Understand"

"Yeah mom" He nodded "Thanks for the cocoa"

"Get some sleep baby" Maria ran a hand through his hair and kissed his forehead