Forty Eight

Elijah stood outside Diana's apartment building, his heart heavy with a mixture of anguish and fury. He couldn't believe she had deceived him, pretending their relationship meant something while secretly planning to marry someone else. He clenched his fists, battling the urge to knock down her door and demand answers.

Summoning what remained of his composure, Elijah pressed the buzzer. After what felt like an eternity, Diana's voice crackled through the intercom, "Who is it?"

"It's me, Elijah," he replied, his voice strained with emotion.

There was a pause, then Diana's hesitant response, "I... I can't see you right now, Elijah."

His jaw tightened at her refusal, but he couldn't give up without a fight. "Please, Diana. I need to talk to you. Just for a moment."

Another pause, then the lock clicked, and the door creaked open. Diana stood there, her eyes red-rimmed, a mixture of guilt and apprehension written across her face. "Come in," she muttered, stepping aside to let him enter.

Elijah stepped into the dimly lit apartment, his gaze sweeping over the familiar surroundings that now felt foreign and cold. He turned to face Diana, his voice low and controlled. "Why, Diana? Why did you do it?"

Diana wrung her hands nervously, unable to meet his gaze. "I... I don't know, Elijah. I thought I was doing what was best for both of us."

"What's best for both of us?" Elijah scoffed, his anger bubbling to the surface. "Deceiving me, leading me on, only to marry someone else?"

Tears welled up in Diana's eyes as she struggled to find the right words. "I... I was scared, Elijah. Scared of losing you, scared of what our future might hold. I thought if I married someone else, it would be easier for both of us."

Elijah's heart ached at her admission, but his resolve remained firm. "That doesn't excuse what you did, Diana. You broke my trust, shattered my heart."

Diana reached out tentatively, her voice trembling. "Elijah, please. I know I messed up, but I still love you. Can't we... can't we have one night together? Just to say goodbye properly?"

Elijah's mind raced with conflicting emotions, but a dark desire for vengeance won out. "Fine," he agreed tersely. "One night. But after that, we're done."

Diana nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks as she closed the distance between them. And in that moment of desperation and longing, she kissed him, sealing their fate for one final night of passion and heartache.

***

"Boss," Paul knocked on his office door, and as Elijah looked up from his computer screen, Paul continued, "Colin Reynolds is here."

"I'm swamped," Elijah responded dismissively. "I have no interest in meeting with anyone right now."

"I believe you should at least hear him out," Paul insisted.

Elijah sighed, considering Paul's suggestion before shaking his head. "No, thanks." He returned his attention to the screen.

A few minutes later, Silas breezed into the office. "Hey, brother."

Elijah arched an eyebrow. "Shouldn't you be at school?"

"We got let out early due to an incident," Silas explained. "Why the gloom in here?"

"I'm not gloomy. Just busy," Elijah replied tersely.

"You're definitely gloomy," Silas insisted.

"Leave it, Silas. I have a company to manage," Elijah said, his tone firm.