Twenty Three

They sat across from each other in the cafe across his office. Every once in a while, Elijah would peak out the window. New York had so much life. He loved it

It was home

He turned back to Sam, who was contemplating her choices. Should she open up to Elijah or not?

"What's going on, Sam?" Elijah asked, poking holes with his fork into the food. She huffed, glancing over at him. "Well, where do I begin?"

"Me and Barry are kind of getting closer." She said

"Really?" Elijah asked. That was unexpected. Sam and Barry were the complete opposite. She was straightforward and direct. Barry was the complete opposite, go with the flow type of guy

"Yeah. It's unexpected, but we really hit it off. We like the same things, same taste, and we have similar backgrounds," She replied, looking him in the eyes. She bit her lap, looking for any type of reaction from him. They were friends, and she wanted to know he was okay with it.

"That's great, Sam. I'm happy for you, and I hope it does work out for you," Elijah replied.

"Here's hoping. It's nothing serious right now, but I really like him. He makes me laugh,"

"I feel there's a catch,"

"What if he doesn't like me as much as I like him?" She asked. Elijah was taken back for a moment. Sam was confident, bagasse type of person. This was a whole new side of her.

"He's a typical guy. He's crazy that you're even paying attention to him," Elijah replied

"And you're not a typical guy?" She smiled

"No, I don't believe in love. It's not for me," Elijah sighed, shaking his head. He glanced out the window and then back at her for a second.

"Bullshit, everyone deserves to be loved. It's basic instinct,"

"I've seen both sides of the coin. People don't love. They love the idea of it,"

"What about your parents?" Sam aslef

"They're the exception," He shrugged

"You can't let one girl when you were a teenager ruin your entire future. Yeah, what they did was wrong, but look at you now, you're rich, hard working, good-looking. What type of girl wouldn't want you?"

"Would it be the same if I was still that poor guy or had an ordinary job."

"The right person will love you for you, not the number in your bank account," Sam replied. "I bet you 10 years from now, we are both happy and successful with our families,"

"I'm already happy and successful," He smiled

"And you have someone that you are obsessed with. You're a great guy, Elijah. You just have to give yourself a chance,"

***

"What about her?" Sam pointed to a woman

"Her?" She looked across the room

"Stop it. I'm not finding my partner in a mall," He snapped at Sam.

"Oh hey," Diana approached them

"Of course it's you." Elijah rolled his eyes.

"What did I do?" She looked at him and Sam. Sam shook her head. "Nothing, we were just--"

"Nothing. We were shopping,"

"So was I," Diana replied. She glanced at his arms. He had no bags. "What did you buy?"

"An airline,"